1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

What gauges should I get?

Posted by TK9er, Mar 29, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. 96_Gst_81

96_Gst_81 Probationary Member

Joined Jun 28, 2014
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Depending on what kind of hp your goals are..
    AEM has always made great products

AEM Uego wideband is always a good choice for monitoring your system

AEM Tru Boost is always a great choice for accuracy and being able to adjust your boost right from your seat is always great!

AEM Oil pressure (a must to have with our cars) would just finish up the triple gauge pod with a nice look!

There’s always:
    Exhaust temp
    Oil temp
    Coolant temp
    And
    Many many others but aren’t as crucial till much later in time!

2. Eddie99GST

Eddie99GST Probationary Member

Joined Mar 5, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    From what I understand don’t trust the factory oil pressure gauge. Things like that are designed to only show you once something has already gone bad

Street Build 673  1

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    The factory gauge will tell you if you have oil pressure.. but it won't tell you how much.

20 psi and 50psi both appear in very similar fashion.. 20psi can be damaging to your motor however.

It's about as useful as the dummy light that pops on when you have no oil pressure at all.

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    True, my factory gauge reads in the first 1/3 of the gauge (below first mark) even at 40-60psi. When cold @80psi it will barely read above half. Hot idle is barely above the "zero" mark @14psi. Stock gauge is not a good reference, just tells you if you have oil pressure or not.

To be clear, 20psi WHEN ABOVE IDLE or at higher RPM would be damaging to the engine, but 20 at idle is fine. General rule of thumb is ~15-20psi at idle, +10 psi per 1k rpm. Different setups vary, but that would be the rough minimum I'd shoot for.

You can see my factory gauge compared to the mtx oil guage(far right) in my pics earlier in this thread.

Street Build 113  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

233  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 745  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 944  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. TK9er

TK9er Proven Member

Joined Jun 1, 2014
    lincoln, Nebraska
    Thanks for all the advice. When talking of the oil pressure gauge, I want to go digital. There is a huge difference between a short sweep and a full sweep/digital read out. I'm leaning towards the innovate digital oil pressure/oil temp. Is it worth the extra money? I can get it for 175... Just seems like a lot.

Street Build 460  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. DSM98GSX

DSM98GSX Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Depending on budget, there are a lot of great options that have already been mentioned. I have 5 gauges (3 pillar , 2 frog eye) that I use:

Defi D'link w/controller - boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure
    AEM wideband
    Stewart Warner shift guage

Good thing about the Defi guages is you can daisy chain them together and run a single wire to the control box. Then from there, plug in your sensors. I went with the 60mm pillar and 52mm frog eyes.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019

2K  5

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.135 @ 144.00 · 2G DSM