The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

weird start up from cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEclipse99

15+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2008
Medina, Ohio
when i start up my car in the mornings when its cold, it takes like 2-3 tries then once it starts it sounds like its running on 2 cylinders. it kinda sounds like a wrx :barf: that distinct sound. its weird and i dont like it and i cant figure out whats wrong. but after it runs for about 1-2min it runs perfectly fine.

Watch your o2 sensor voltage, does is start idling properly when you go into closed loop (ie your front O2 begins to cycle)?

Mine does the same thing, but not just when its cold outside. takes it a couple minutes to warm up the O2 sensor, and then it runs perfectly.

+1 on the temp sensor

Cheep to buy, easy to change, Good to start with.

my check engine light came on when this started happening so i hit up autozone and it turned out to be: misfire in cylinder 4 due to bad plug. im in the midst of changing them right now so ill let you guys know if this solves it or not.

my check engine light showed i could either have a vacuum leak, injector fault, high or low fuel pressure, or bad plugs/wires. what do you guys think?

Okay, I went and purchased 2 new sensors for my coolant system. Both the dash temp sender and the ecu's temp sensor for fan and startup idle control.

Did not seem to fix the issue, but I will give a definite answer after a really cold start tomorrow.

tomorrow morning im going to check my coil. i added some injector cleaner as well. if my coil is not the problem then i will have given up hope haha. ill take it to big 3 racing shop and have them fix it.

my old dsm had a bad temp sensor. it was reading that my car was way too hot when it was actually cold therefore it wouldnt start. and im not having the same symptoms at all with this car so i think i have ruled out the temp sensor.

also( i just remembered) my boost/vacuum gauge at an idle is reading around 13 hg of vacuum and i believe it should be at 17, right? could this mean i may have a vacuum leak somewhere?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back