The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Wavetrac front differential in a w4a33

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimIacobucci

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Ok, so I'm going to figure out a way to do this. I've got the differential and I have most of the pieces of this puzzle but I am looking for a bit of feedback to see if my theory is sound here.

I've got a wavetrac front diff for the 93+ big axle manual fwd turbo transmission f5m33. I want to put it into a w4a33 auto awd transmission.

I have read a few people saying that the awd front differentials also fit in the autos. John at IPT confirmed this when I talked to him. I also know people have swapped the front diff between the later big spline fwd and early fwd/awd/nt front diff. At least going the other way to be able to use equal length half shafts in a 2g fwd turbo.

The fwd and awd use different bearing and clearance specs though, the tapered roller bearings in the fwd are preloaded, the ball bearing awd require clearance.

To confuse this further the aftermarket lsds use a different bearing than the stock diffs.

The info below is for F5M33 and W5M33 Quaife models.

AWD Quaife Model: QDH8B
Bearings Used: MD706566
Speedo Ring Gear Used: MD717879

FWD Quaife Model: QDH7B
Bearings Used: MD710663
Speedo Ring Gear Used: MD717879
- twicks69

from here, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/351708-quaife-lsd-install-questions-2.html

The H8 being the 25 spline awd/nt/early fwd front diff and the H7 being the 27 spline late fwd turbo.

I will call wavetrac to confirm but does anyone else know if the bearings and speedo gears for a quaife work for the wavetrac?

The outer diameter of the AWD diff straight cage bearings is the same as the outside of the taper race so no modifications are needed to fit the bearings.
- turboking15

from here, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-drivetrain/391409-equal-length-half-shaft-2gs.html

So if this is true, it should work the other way around no? Is there a reason the MD710663 tapered roller bearing for the big 27 spline late fwd turbo quiafe would not work in an awd case? Granted I would need to set the FWD preload spec appropriate for these bearings.

So if I've got the thing setup in the case obviously I need axles now. This would be easy if I was FWD but I'm not. So now I am full on reversing the awd equal length half shaft mod for a 2g.

For the passenger I think the entire axle might just fit, with the exception being there may be differences between the auto and manual axle lengths. Even if that is true I may be able to just swap a 2g 27 spline inner cup and tripod bearing onto my awd auto front passenger axle bar.

I've only done this on a 1G FWD, but I upgraded the inner joints to 2G FWD splines by swapping the inner cup and tripod over.
- lowell

from here, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/433390-what-axle-spline-count-97-gst.html

Can anyone else confirm this works? Lowell is the only person I have seen that said they have done this before.

So now on to the real trick intermediate shaft. I can't just run the long 2g fwd 27 axle here because the tcase is there. So theres no nice direct dsm swap I can find for this bit BUT this 27 spline front diff was also used in the FWD 3S cars.

Quaife Front Differential for 92-99 FWD DSM / 3S FWD ONLY

This Quaife is designed to work in the FWD Turbo DSM's and also the FWD NA 3000GT / Stealth

from here, Quaife Front Diff DSM / 3S FWD – Jacks Transmissions LLC

It doesn't say that in the description for the wavetrac specifically but if the quaife interchanges I would think any aftermarket or stock type diff would as well. This means they have the same axle splines. It also just so happens the FWD 3s cars also use the awd style equal length half shafts AND the big 27 spline axles.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

from here, 93 94 95 96 Stealth Left Driver Side Axle Shaft Front FWD SOHC Automatic Jack | eBay

Now until I actually get one of those in my hands and start pulling things apart and comparing lengths I don't know if there is exactly going to be a bolt together solution for this but it seems like all the parts are there to make something work.
I figure at the very least I can use the awd auto front driver axle and intermediate bearing and use the length and cv side splines combined with the 3s 27 spline on the other end to have a custom axle made for the intermediate shaft. The 3s bracket is different and the axle looks shorter. If the 3s wheel hub splines are a match the entire axle might fit though if I fabricate a mount on the back of the block to bolt the 3s bracket to. It doesn't really NEED to be equal length, as long as it clears the transfer case and the cvs don't bind or pull out it could work.

Ok, I should preface this with two things. First I have not run this transmission since modification and I am not near it atm. Second I took lots of pictures and notes and lost all of them in a hard drive crash. While I was trying to back it up ironically. So unfortunately I only have my memory to go on here.

I did what I had proposed and it fit. I installed the 2g big spline style wavetrac into a 1g w4a33 using the tapered bearings. It fits. I used 2g auto fwd 3si axles. They fit the diff and the stock dsm w4a33 axle seals. I used to have pictures of all this.

I have some info and pictures in familyman's 4g Swapped 3kgt thread.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/4g-auto-swapped-3000gt.489173/

post #21. Bastarddsm, I see you were already in that thread though so you probably already have seen what I wrote there. The intermediate shaft/ axle setup in a dsm might be tricky but I think it's doable using a combination of dsm and 3kgt parts, you might possibly need a custom length axle bar. Mine is in a colt and using most of the 3kgt front end stuff to work together so I can't speak to dsm compatibility.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back