The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

water pump replacement help! counter balance shaft??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TG924

Proven Member
Jan 22, 2013
Bumpass, Virginia
Been trying to install a new water pump. The cyclinder block plug is snapped off inside so part of the bolt is stuck in there. So now i cant tell if the counter balance shaft is in phase?? Im trying to remove the timing belt to replace the water pump?
thanks alot!!

If I can get it in phase without having to get the plug out, that would probably be the best or easiest option right now. If I don't have a choice and have to get the plug out, I'm thinking my only option is to drill it out but would be concerned about getting some metal flakes or pieces inside.

I should probably mention the car is a 99 eclipse gsx, awd....4G63 I've read in the tech section the timing belt needs to be removed in order to get the water pump out. Part of taking the timing belt off is keeping the counterbalance shaft in phase with the timing belt marks. There is a "plug", bolt that gives access to the counterbalance shaft internally to see if it is in phase. According to what I read, you put a small screwdriver in the plug. If it goes about 2 inches, it's in phase, about an inch or less and it's not. Here is a pic...little close but the top of the screw is gone and the rest is still embedded. I have other pics...been taking them as I go along that I could post if it helps. Thanks!

Ok, that all makes sense now. If that plug is broken, the only thing you can do is drill a hole in the broken bolt and remove it with a screw extractor (then clean the threads), or drill it out completely with a drill bit almost the same diameter, and then clean the threads with a tap.

Ok, thanks. Looks like no easy way out so I'm going to drill it then retap. I need to get a tap so will have to shut down the garage for the night. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Wow you're doing it the hard way. Assuming youve not taken the belt off yet and the car is currently running correctly you dont have to do anything at all. Just line all the timing marks up before you remove the belt then its already in phase. There are other ways too. Post back if this wont work for you.

If you have all 5 marks lined up and the cams are dowels up you are in phase and need to do nothing more than remove and replace. Do not let the oil pump sprocket get away from you. It won't move on it's own (more than just a little bit) so it's a straightforward afair from that point. If you're not sure how to line up a belt it's best to search vfaq or other posts etc. It's a personal pet peeve of mine to see this job get screwed up. It's not difficult, just tedious and there is no gray area.

Yes, the cams are dowels up. Thanks so much. I've been following the Vfaq which is why I got stumped when I saw that my plug was busted. Always great to get confirmation from someone who knows what they are doing. Any tricks to keep the oil pump sprocket from moving?

Whoa I missed that. Is that the front shaft? Either way what I said still holds true. What I meant by dont move the sprocket is dont grab it and spin it. Thats the whole point of it. When the mark lines up the shaft can be in one of three positions 120 degrees apart from each other so only once every three revolutions is it in phase. You cant see the gears so thats why the bolt is there so you can check. If its already in phase there is no need to check.

Yes, literally just figured that out. I pulled the plug from the back side and put a small screwdriver in there. It doesn't go in the two inches or so that the Vfaq says it should no matter how many times I turn it. The balance shaft mark is at best off one tooth from the mark. But, it's been running fine prior so I thought the one tooth off may not be a big issue. All other marks are perfect.

But, like you said it's already in phase so I wouldn't have to worry about the plug anyway. I'm going to give it a shot.....thanks again, really appreciate the help.

For whats its worth I havent removed one of those bolts in 15 years.

One tooth off eh? Well then the last guy who did the job didnt know what hes doing and you may not be in phase. You probably are but as its so trivial to check you should do so. Check the rear shaft this time hebe. If you cant find the bolt let us know. Its the only. Olt on the back of the block that doesnt belong. Its just sitting there with nothing attached to it.

Found the bolt, got it out and it feels like its off just a bit. The screwdriver goes in about an inch or inch and a half. I've turned the cams and all the marks (with belt still on) about 30 times. I stopped on the marks, checked to see if the marks line up. Only in 2 turns out of every six of lining the marks up do they all line up. When that happens, the screwdriver doesn't go in any further for either position. As it starts to cycle through the one position (after being off that one tooth still) the screwdriver will go in about 2 and a half inches. So, it must be off just a bit?

Also, now that I can see the water pump a lot better there is a bolt missing. That could be why it's leaking but I already have the new pump, new timing belt so I'm going to put them in anyway.

Thought I would throw in a picture of what I mean by one tooth off. This is as close as I can get the balancer to line up with the mark when all others are lined up.

maybe next time you should make sure all the bolts are their before tearing everything apart haha!!! Nah... but thanks for all the replies!. the OP is my dad and we have been working on this all day! Finally got everything down to the water pump and realized that whoever had it before us never installed all the bolts... which in sense could of been why it was leaking and or not working. This was our first time taking the timing belt off and having to deal with everything lining up so we were pretty nervous! But i think with everyone's input we should be good to go... waiting on some bolts for the water pump but will keep up to date how it finishes up!

.... stay tuned im sure we'll have more questions! and lots of pics to come, we havent seen any threads about water pump replacement so we tried to take lots of pics as we went!

...p.s. I hope my beast comes back to life!!! :)

I've been reading through your postings and they have been the most helpful that I have found. I don't think we would have gotten this far. This project has been a first and your posts have made it possible to attempt something that we've never done. This is a great site and your posts have been invaluable.

I had a little time to work on it today....lastest update is I was able to get the balance shaft lined up with the crankshaft. I will be putting the water pump in tomorrow and the timing belt. Thanks for all the help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back