The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Water Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just5_0

Proven Member
Feb 8, 2013
rogersville, Tennessee
I have a water leak in the front driverside right under the steering wheel and the hatch was full of water right after it rained but that was bc the drain was stopped up, but i cannot find the leak where it is right under the steering wheel and the sunroof isn't wet or anywhere else if some one has had this problem please let me kn what it could be. Maybe the seal around the door idk but it is on both side's of the car and i felt like up under the dash and it is not wet there maybe thout it was the windshield idk i am really stump, it juss has water in it after it rain's. It is a 98 gst and has a sunroof. And i have read many post about sunroof drain tubes that will be my next thing i check:confused:

Last edited:
Since its getting water on both sides and under the dash is dry I would be more inclined to think the leak is in the rear and running forward on both sides of the tunnel. If its just the driver side, could be the drain is plugged for the AC.

I just bought the car and havn't even used the ac it only gets water in it when it rain's. I am going to check the sunroof drain holes and see if they are clogged and i will let ya kn if that fixed the problem. I want to thank every body for the comments left and the one's that have took time to read them thank's again.:thumb:

Worst case if you suspect a rubber seal is causing it. And then cannot find any water mark evidence to point to the culprit try this.
Dust your seals with talcum powder. Close the car up & hose it down/simulate rain etc.
Let it drip dry & then inspect the seals, it will be obvious now if it's a seal.

Just have to wait a bit before you open the doors hatch etc, water collected in areas can give you a false result once the access is opened.

Ok so i checked the drain tube's at the sunroof and they are not clogged and my head linear isnt wet either, so i am trying the powder trick and it supposed to rain tonight so i put trash bags around the doors to see if that is my problem. I will letcha kn what is the out come.

Ok this is weird it rained like crazy last nite and no water in the car, it must have been leaking from the back of the car running forward idk but problem solved i hope.:hellyeah:

Had the same problem but with a different car- took an airline to each drain line- from the sunroof down of course and blew them out- afterwards poured water down the drains to make sure they drained properly

Ya there was no water in the driver's side but the carpet was wet behind the pass seat juss a lil i dusted the seal looks like it didn't leak from there.

Ok i think i found the leak for the back and it was running up from the back to front the boot was off at the top of the hatch and imma gonna have to clear silicone it so hopefully that fixe's this i will let everyone kn if that was it or not thank's again:thumb:

Just for another way to check for water leaks, do a BLT on your interior! Get some soapy water, and turn your vents/AC/heat on full blast. Then start spraying! It might not always bring you straight to your problem area, but it's another way to check things. Worked for me anyway.

Check the water drain under the wipers between hood and windshield, I know this is no Honda but that happened the same exact way in my honda

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back