The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Annoying water leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE_15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2012
Bakersfield, California
Long story short. I began leaking water for the past 6 months under the timing side and I first found that it was a faulty radiator cap. replaced that. No leaks for a couple of days then it starts leaking again. I found 2 water hoses ripped. I replaced that and everything is good until next week. My radiator was leaking now and I finally replaced that with a mishimoto radiator. I start the car thinking my radiator solved the problem. I look under the car and no leaks. I drive around the block pull over to see what's up and it's dripping water under the timing. Once the car is warmed up it dosent leak anymore. My car randomly leaks and I don't know what to do anymore. If it was the water pump, wouldn't it always leak? I checked the top weep hole and nothing ever comes out of that. Edit: I've used the coolant pressure tester and the only leak that popped up was the crack on radiator, but not the water pump.

Last edited:
Most likely leaking from the weep hole in the water pump. Like he said if your using straight water it wont lube components or if its old coolant it will develop electrolysis n eat cooling components. So a cooling flush is a good idea here n there. I would rent a cooling pressure tester n test the system

Most likely leaking from the weep hole in the water pump. Like he said if your using straight water it wont lube components or if its old coolant it will develop electrolysis n eat cooling components. So a cooling flush is a good idea here n there. I would rent a cooling pressure tester n test the system
I forgot to mention that. I used it and that's how I found the leak on radiator. It wasn't showing any signs of water leaks by the water pump though. That's why I'm tripping out right now. I looked at the weep hole on nothing comes out of that.

I forgot to mention that. I used it and that's how I found the leak on radiator. It wasn't showing any signs of water leaks by the water pump though. That's why I'm tripping out right now. I looked at the weep hole on nothing comes out of that.

Only other thing in the timing area would be water pump gasket or head gasket.

Coolant that is pressurized wants to find a way out. If there is a leak it will leak from the weakest point in the system such as your radiator or those hose. Once you repaired the weakest points in the system, now the system is building the correct pressure. It so happens that the NEXT weakest link in the system was the water pump.

Coolant that is pressurized wants to find a way out. If there is a leak it will leak from the weakest point in the system such as your radiator or those hose. Once you repaired the weakest points in the system, now the system is building the correct pressure. It so happens that the NEXT weakest link in the system was the water pump.

Makes sense. I tried to take a pic of the car leaking but nothing is leaking right now. Shits weird. The car leaks whenever it wants and that's why I'm not sure if it's water pump. When the car is warm up it dosent leak anymore. It dosent leak bad either when it does leak

Just have to scope things out when hot and cold then ...

I'm getting irritated by this water leak. im just gonna buy the whole timing kit which includes water pump, pulleys, and timing belt so I know when my car needs maintenance again for timing. 400$ though :banghead:

I know it sucks, but in the long run, you got a fully replace belt system that'll last for 60K miles when the recommendation change out hits.

On a side topic, but similar situation: I had a leak as well, but just couldn't find it anywhere yet had puddling on the garage floor. I had just changed out the WP, pulleys and belt so I knew it wasn't there, but still a leak. Long story short: those little hoses coming from the T-stat housing, both of them had dried out enough to cause pee-hole leaking under pressure in the fabric. Changed them both out (which was a PITA and a half) and rid the leaking.

Try ignition issues, stoppage and irregular operation until two cylinders died. Coil and power resistor both took a dump and did almost 300 bucks for this changeout.

Stuff just happens with 20 plus year old vehicles...

Good luck with your find. - DSM

I know it sucks, but in the long run, you got a fully replace belt system that'll last for 60K miles when the recommendation change out hits.

On a side topic, but similar situation: I had a leak as well, but just couldn't find it anywhere yet had puddling on the garage floor. I had just changed out the WP, pulleys and belt so I knew it wasn't there, but still a leak. Long story short: those little hoses coming from the T-stat housing, both of them had dried out enough to cause pee-hole leaking under pressure in the fabric. Changed them both out (which was a PITA and a half) and rid the leaking.

Try ignition issues, stoppage and irregular operation until two cylinders died. Coil and power resistor both took a dump and did almost 300 bucks for this changeout.

Stuff just happens with 20 plus year old vehicles...

Good luck with your find. - DSM

last question for you. I found a complete timing kit on maperformance by I can't decide between the gates water pump or oem. It's a 120$ difference. The rest of the components will be oem. If I choose gates everything turns out to 272. Oem pump its 395$.

I find it odd you found a leak on the timing side and your action consisted of replacing the radiator cap which happens to be on the rear of the block.

I'm running a Gates pump in both vehicles. I'd trust them completely. The design is as close to OEM as it gets and it's better than other cheap parts store brands. The internals are quality.

I have a 45 dollar GMB 148-1440Water Pump that I put in 6 yrs ago .. no problems at all with that WP.
Other stuff came from the Mitsu dealership which set me back $310.00 back then.
They recommended me to NAPA to find the GMB since theirs was horribly expensive, in which I did.

good luck-DSM

I find it odd you found a leak on the timing side and your action consisted of replacing the radiator cap which happens to be on the rear of the block.

I'm running a Gates pump in both vehicles. I'd trust them completely. The design is as close to OEM as it gets and it's better than other cheap parts store brands. The internals are quality.

I used the coolant pressure tester and nothing was coming out of the water pump so I assumed it was just the radiator.

Ok it's been almost a week now since I've last seen one drop of water. I check my coolant level everytime before a cold start and it's topped off. I even look under the car when it's on and it's not leaking. Any ideas? I know this is not the end of my problem so I'm not getting excited or anything like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back