1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Wastegate gone bad?

Posted by Mokkan, May 21, 2019

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Mokkan

Mokkan Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2013
    Hampton, Georgia
    So, about a year ago, two (!) injectors went out on me and my turbo turned some pretty colors:

Im4JcVy.jpg

It seemed to recover fine, no joints loosening or anything. Well, for the last couple of months, the car has been struggling to build boost. I found a boost leak, and had hoped to declare victory, but got only a small improvement. I have the manifold off to get the surface refaced since it had warped, which might also be a contributing factor, and took a look at the turbo housing while I was there. The wastegate looks to have a gap from the housing and I can wiggle a little with my finger. Is that actually the sealing surface there, or is it out of sight? I guess my real question is: do I need to fix this (probably by replacing the hot side housing)?

upmep0W.jpg

Rally Build 1K  2

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    yeah that turbine housing is shot man..........I would replace it . You wont be able to build boost as its like the WG is always open, the flapper cannot seal.

Street Build 1K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    tk106 and ThunderChild like this.
  3. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Thatsa cool pic of your turbine/O2 housing though! Worth it..??

As @EVLGSX said, it's shot, and yes that is the sealing flange.

80  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 550  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 789  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Vegas smith likes this.
  4. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Turbo lab sells them for $100 on ebay, 7cm.

Street Build 1K  8

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. biglady112

biglady112 Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2004
    Commerce City, Colorado
    It won’t seal well anyway. The obvious cracks would prevent it from doing its job well. Those are exhaust leaks around the flapper.

6. Mokkan

Mokkan Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2013
    Hampton, Georgia
    Turns out the waste gate was not returning fully. I shimmed the waste gate out a bit and now the flapper sits tight! I'm waiting on a fresh set of gaskets to arrive before bolting it all back together to see if that fixes the issue.

I know the cracks aren't ideal, but the waste gate flapper was sealing with those cracks for the last 18 months, so I'm going to give it a try. Easy enough to replace the turbine housing if it doesn't work.

Rally Build 1K  2

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM