The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G W4A33 Transmission Valve body oil passage porting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I haven't ever done the porting mods, if I saw excess flashing that inhibits flow, I MIGHT use my dremel to remove that but if you play with a valve body and screw anything up, good luck finding a replacement. I put the Translab 175HP kit in and do the highest pressure spring and reduce the reducing pressure as far as I can. It will hit hard. Make sure you check the clearances on the clutch packs (overdrive you don't have to) and you should be fine. How much HP are you putting thru this? I ask as it would be a good time to think about the center dif, which only has 2 spider gears in it. I had my last dif welded up and eliminated the Viscous Coupler. I haven't got that transmission in my car yet but it is the next thing for me to do is swap one out for the other.
What symptoms did you experience when yours went out?
Marty

I haven't ever done the porting mods, if I saw excess flashing that inhibits flow, I MIGHT use my dremel to remove that but if you play with a valve body and screw anything up, good luck finding a replacement. I put the Translab 175HP kit in and do the highest pressure spring and reduce the reducing pressure as far as I can. It will hit hard. Make sure you check the clearances on the clutch packs (overdrive you don't have to) and you should be fine. How much HP are you putting thru this? I ask as it would be a good time to think about the center dif, which only has 2 spider gears in it. I had my last dif welded up and eliminated the Viscous Coupler. I haven't got that transmission in my car yet but it is the next thing for me to do is swap one out for the other.
What symptoms did you experience when yours went out?
Marty

These valve bodies are getting harder to find good thing I have an extra one. I have the Translab 175hp kit installed. I had originally rebuilt the transmission with the IPT kit and I have the IPT torque converter. I have my center diff already welded. I first started to notice the transmission slipping slightly but as I would make passes it would slip more and more. I then saw the temp start rising so I decided to drop the transmission and found the front clutch was overheated. I was running the 5 friction clutch kit from IPT. I have since ordered the 6 friction clutch from Kiggly. Thanks for the reply.

Same setup I am running and I toasted my front clutch pack too. I am sure it was all on me for not getting its clearance set correctly. I could use a torque converter, otherwise I will be on the button to try and get up on the stock one I have.
Kiggly says that the 6 pak will wear faster I think I read so that is why I went with the 5 pak.

Same setup I am running and I toasted my front clutch pack too. I am sure it was all on me for not getting its clearance set correctly. I could use a torque converter, otherwise I will be on the button to try and get up on the stock one I have.
Kiggly says that the 6 pak will wear faster I think I read so that is why I went with the 5 pak.

How would the 6 pack wear faster? From my understanding the 5 pack is good for up to 25% more and the 6 pack is good for 50% more.

How would the 6 pack wear faster? From my understanding the 5 pack is good for up to 25% more and the 6 pack is good for 50% more.
Because there is only so much space in there and in order to add a plate, all of the plates have to be thinner to keep the factory stack thickness, this adds load carrying capability but makes them wear faster.

The clutches are thinner.
I think @motomattx beat me to the answer.
Thanks Matt!

Because there is only so much space in there and in order to add a plate, all of the plates have to be thinner to keep the factory stack thickness, this adds load carrying capability but makes them wear faster.

The only difference I see is the end steel plates are thinner but not the clutches.

The clutches are thinner.
I think @motomattx beat me to the answer.
Thanks Matt!

The clutches appear to be the same thickness as the other ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just according to Kiggly. If the clutches are the same thickness then the steels are thinner. Only x amount of space in that basket.

I think I have 1 extra set of Kiggly 5 paks. Its only 35* today but I could and should go measure a steel to add to this thread.
I'll get on that here in a few so stay tuned.
Marty
Here are the steel and clutch measurements I get, excluding the front and back plates which are both thicker and different from each other.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So it appears each clutch/steel use 4mm of space as the steels are 2.22mm and clutches are 1.88mm.

For some reason this picture doesn't look right......I might have grabbed a stock set.
I will need to look again, my apologies.

Last edited:
I think I have 1 extra set of Kiggly 5 paks. Its only 35* today but I could and should go measure a steel to add to this thread.
I'll get on that here in a few so stay tuned.
Marty
Here are the steel and clutch measurements I get, excluding the front and back plates which are both thicker and different from each other.

So it appears each clutch/steel use 4mm of space as the steels are 2.22mm and clutches are 1.88mm.

For some reason this picture doesn't look right......I might have grabbed a stock set.
I will need to look again, my apologies.

The Kiggly 6 friction kit has 2.9mm of space and the steels are 1.1mm.

I want to thank you for adding those specs to the thread!
I am on the search to find or make sure what I show is correct for the rest of those reading!
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back