The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Vis Carbon Fiber Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris97pittman

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2004
Bellingham, Washington
I'm ordering a Vis CF hood Saturday morning and I was wondering if hood pins are required or if you can just use the latch off your stock hood?

I Personally have never had a carbon fiber hood, or do ever advocate having one not painted the color of the car. Bearing in mind that, you HAVE to use hood pins. The reason i say this is, yes the stock hood latch will work, but not efficiently. NUMEROUS members have made threads about their hoods flying up on them. If your willing to take hte chance, go for it. But be prepared to take the results. Please use hood pins, its a 30 dollar investment for even good hoodpins.

im guilty.. i DIDNT paint my CF hood..

2784new.jpg

:barf: :thumbdown LOL

i agree with the hoodpins you hsould get some.. i just got mine and have yet to put it on.. however i personally had no problems.. ive went 80+ numerous times.. there was even an instance where i was adjusting the fitment and the driver side wasnt even bolted down all the way.. yes that was stupid.. but i trusted the stock latch and everything was all good.. but just to be safe yes ont he hood pins..

also then again i dont have a VIS hood.. maybe its just those VIS hoods that are flying over head without hoodpins LOL jk my hood is a Wayson

I'm looking at getting a Vis OEM Carbon Fiber hood as well. I want to be save, however, i hate the look of hood pins? Is there any sort of alternative to securing the Hood other than hood pins or locks? Basically i don't want to be able to see anything from the exterior of the car. I want it to look stock and smooth.

- Jose

Why even take the chance of your hood flying up on you? A lot of money is involved, IF you even walk away from the accident with your life.

Attachments

• PF_trees6.jpg
    PF_trees6.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 706
put them on, VIS sucks. my hood began to crack and faded bad. Not only do they make poor quality hoods but they dont back their product!!! You dont need a POS hood screwing up your nice ride. Good luck with yours.

if i were you i would get hood pins, i know of two people that have had their hoods fly up when they were driving, it happened twice to my friend Brandon.

I have had my hood for 2 years not fading. But a stupid person I know was looking under my hood and when they closed it they closed it HARD like WHHHHAAAMMMM! then they pushed on it with there fat ####ing hads and cracked the gell coat.....I was like :mad: then I bi*** slapped them. So now im just going to paint it

If you don't like the look of hood pins, get the hood locks, they are more flush to the surface of the hood. You can lock them up with those 'bullet' keys and if the cops ever ask you to 'pop your hood', just say "I'd love to, but I didn't carry my keys with me." And according to Jay-Z, the cop would need a warrant to open your hood, since its locked. ;)

Ive got a double sided CF VIS with CF support also. Ive had it for about 2 years. drove the car on the highway raced a R6 upto 137+ mph the latch kept the hood down. The hood does move up and down just a little since air does get under the hood. but not to the point where it would freak the crap out of me. I say if you feel unscure then slap some pins. if not then just hope that the little boy that made your cf hood was awake while he was making it.

Is it going to be really hard to install with the stock latches and everything or should it be farely easy?

go ahead and go without hood pins.
these are just the logner threads, im omitting the shorter ones, Im not wasting Be like these guys
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153783&highlight=hood+flew
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have to go back to work, there are countless other threads also, just search. GET HOOD PINS. You might not need them, but in case you do, you will have them.

If you get a carbon hood you need to get hood pins. I have a VIS cf hood and have had no fading or cracking, so I highly recomend VIS. I installed sparco hood pins and think they look great on the car. I did mine further to the outside than most people (which you can see in my profile). I took lots of pics of the placement to help you guys get motivated to intall those pins! The car is for sale now, so there will be plenty of pics of my car with the new carbon fiber fenders installed posted in the gallery tonight. Hope this all helped! And hey, all the cool kids are gettting hood pins! ;) -matt

GET HOOD PINS!

for the love of god, i dont see why this is even a question. people shell out hundreds of dollars for a CF hood and put it on a car that is worth thousands of dollars, and then, they dont even want to spend another 20 bucks to make sure their hood doesnt fly up and ruin their car, their hood, and possibly wrecking when you cant see because your brand new great looking carbon fiber hood is now covering your cracked windshield. if you dont want them to stand out get black ones, or the fake CF ones. but, get them. period.

GET HOOD PINS!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back