The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

update 95 gst drag car: oil puddle in exhaust?? pictures inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95DsManiac

Proven Member
Dec 5, 2012
Bay Point, California
Hey everyone,

So this is kind of a update to the other thread, but more to it the reason for separate threads. Anyhow, today I decided to dig into it some more because I sit here at home and watch videos of everyone else racing and I am just sitting here with a car that wont start still.

so for starters, I found oil coming out of the exhaust, turbo inlet, and o2 to downpipe gasket. Im running only a downpipe and it is leaking out of there. I can stick my finger in there and there is a puddle of it in there. It is green in color and I did use lucas assembly lube which is green.

I also found the black particles on the tops of the pistons.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So today I started with a compression test. Last time I tested it all was around 135-140 and I thought that was good due to the rings not being seated and the engine never being started. Well today I get 176-185 across the board. I was excited to see this because I thought maybe the rings went and that's the oil I was seeing in the exhaust.

I then take off the exhaust manifold and turbo. Now remember when I ported and polished my head, I hand polished the runners to a mirror finish 80-1200grit. well they were gunked up with black stuff. The hot side was also black and you can see liquid in there. Same with the manifold. I wiped the stuff off the runners on the head and it comes right off. it smells kind of like gas though??

What is causing this to happen? why would it kind of smell like gas? Also now the tops of the pistons are gunked up with black stuff even more now. I pulled the valve cover and cant really see anything in there that screams a problem.

What should I be looking for? Would this stuff be the cause to why my car isn't starting?

I also took off the COP set up and the dyna tek for now until we can figure this out. Please let me know what you think and what do I need to be looking at, what should I be testing, what things do I need to do to fix these problems??

Thanks in advance and god bless you all,

Anthony B.

You make too many changes too quickly, its easier to change a few things at a time. Are you sure that your ready for a GT42 sized turbo at this point, alot goes along with having that level of mods, there is more to a fast car than a bunch of drag only parts being thrown at it. Hopefully you wont take any of that the wrong way, but the best way to move along in the 4 cylinder world is through baby steps and learning as you go rather than trying to set records with your first build. There are many things right now that can be going on, it looks like alot of your sensors are reading properly, I wouldnt worry at all about the black coating on things, that is not causing you any problems.

I just saw your other thread a few minutes ago. You were still having issues with dialing in your idle . Im sure this is all related. You had said it was backfiring if you didnt manually give it gas and idle it high. I would get the idle/injector issue fixed. Running rich will explain the gas smell

Have you drained your oil? If you have excessive gas entering the cylinders, chances are when you stop trying to turn it over you have pools of gas on the pistons, which in turn leaks past the rings and breaks down the oil (cylinder wash is what its referred as)... anywho, the broken down oil becomes so thin it washes out of the bearings, journals, cam caps.... everywhere you want oil to be basically. Next thing you know, you scorch every rotating part very quickly.

This is all speculation since you still haven't pinpointed much, but its something to watch out for most definately. The oil could even be thin enough to seep through the valve stem seals if they are even slightly worn, hence the oil and gas goop/ smell everywhere in your turbo and exhaust.

Its worth the $20 in oil and a filter to check out. If it does turn out to be mixed I wouldn't even put new oil in it until you find out why gas is making its way down, leave a pan under it and let it drip every drop out, also disconnect the turbo drain to let that completely drain. This could also make the ring seal "wet", contributing to the high comp numbers on a cold motor, as stated before a few days ago.

Hope some of this helps...

the particles in the fuel rail dont look like fun to me, are you using a fuel cell or an oem tank? if oem is it original. i would cut open the fuel filter to see if there are any particles in there as well.

as far as the oil sludge im subscribing for that. the downpipe rust looks like condensation from sitting to me. hope you get it resolved

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back