The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Twin turbo? [Merged 11-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the link!! I found this pic let me know what you think.I was thinking of running two wastegates and two intakes. With the two wastegate i can use two B.C.. 1 set at lower boost on a t-25 and the larger turbo set higher boost. Also two to one I.C. pipes running of off 1 I.C..

Attachments

• twin turbo.jpg
    twin turbo.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 150
That picture is of a staged twin turbo. Don't know enough about it, but I'm pretty sure that both compressors have to be able to flow the max lb/min (since all the air is going through each).

The STTS has the two turbos in parallel, but valves shut off the hot and cold side of the 2nd (larger) turbo until it is needed, and then it is gradually prespooled and then opened up all the way. That makes me think that both turbos have to run the same boost level (or the higher boost from the 2nd turbo will "back up" into the 1st turbo, possibly causing it to surge). Don't know enough about either of these setups to say anything for sure, though. If I don't forget all about this, maybe I'll do some more research and find out the details of the STTS system and answer the questions I have.

In the pic the turbos run of off each other both hot side and cold side, but if you run the hot side together and the cold sides independently wouldnt that prevent the serge???Also by running dual wastegates and dual B.C. they can work indepently without boost creep and over spolling the smaller turbo.

Take it from the person who did the first ever TT DSM back in 1997-98. It's not worth it. Sure, it was a nice experiment , unique, and I had fun ( for the most part ) and I learned a lot. Like another person on the thread here said, it would be cool for a show car. But if you are after more power it's much better to just go with a good upgrade single.

Coltboostin (I think thats his screen name on here) has a twin 50 trim 4g63 powered FC RX7. Makes decent numbers, and from what I understand rips.

i was thinking if somebody had the idea to run 2 turbos in our eclipses if you have any information pleaseeeee.

It's not possible with your car or any of the 4g63 or 420a unless you're talking about the new generation v6 engine.

It's just a fine line between the one turbo you go to; small = less lag and big = turbo lag but more power in mid or high powerband.

Eh, anything's possible, just takes more money and time than is worth it. There are some pics floating around of a twin turbo 4g63 with twin T25's. Probably would be much better off with a single GT30. Also, J-Jamrod, this question has been beaten to death so many times it is ludicrously easy to find what you were looking for using a simple search, I'm tried of answering the same newbie questions over and over again, use the freaking search button.

Best example of a 4g63tt is the one that was swapped into a FC3S which runs 2 16Gs. Search on rx7club.com

There are some pics floating around of a twin turbo 4g63 with twin T25's.

If you really want to go twin turbo you might be better off getting a divided turbo housing with a twin scroll manifold.

Twin T25s is just like running two turbos with two exhaust runners out of the four and I'd imagine it wouldn't be beneficial in cutting down the lag.

Is it possible to twin turbo an Evo? I was told that an Evo I saw when I was at work has twin T3/T4 turbos. I was like "What the f**k?" I was wondering how the he!! he twin turboed an Evo, and how the stock intercooler keeps up with twin turbos. Also he had no gauges... I am not saying that its impossible, but how the hell is it done?

A lot of people think that "twin turbo" and "T3/T4" is the end all be all for performance upgrades. I had a guy tell me his acura had twin turbos once, and everyone tells me I should but twins on all my cars. It's as if they think if they toss it out there that they'll sound like they know something. Anyways, it is possible, anything is possible really, but I always call BS on the TT unless it's a supra, a V(6,8,10, etc) style engine, or if they pop the hood. There exists several twin turbo 4 cylinder engines out there, but all the people who have them know exactly what they are about. Like this guy
Twin Turbo Shadow page
or any of the handful that hang around here.

Haha, ok, a stupid way to do it would to mill out the collector flat and open up the hole in the middle of the manifold to the top. One turbo on the top the other on the bottom. Maybe I'll do that if I inherit a ton of money and a magic machining wand...

There IS a twin-charged Evo, however. One supercharger, one turbocharger. Search around a bit for info on that one. It's a crazy build, but it's not a twin-turbo, and it doesn't use a T3/T4. Ray Peters twin-charged a DSM. And there are a few custom twin-turbo DSM's around, but from the pics I've seen of them, they're the most ghetto-rigged pos's ever.

Especially with the pulsed turbos that are being developed now why would you want to twin turbo a 4 banger? :confused:

you can bi-turbo just about anything. most people think that bi-turbo and twin turbo are the same thing. twin turbo is obviously two turbos that usually run off of 2 seperate manifolds, unless its a supra. bi-turbo is having two turbos, but they are on the same manifold, one smaller than the other and the smaller one is used to spool the larger one. (the air thats spooled out of the smaller one will go directly to the larger one to spool the larger one).

You can twin or bi-turbo almost anything but it's not the easiest or best thing to do, especially on a 4 cyl car. I know of a supplier that makes twin turbo kits for SRT-4's, granted they are 2 stock modified turbos and not t3/t4 setups. The kit costs around $3700 + all of the other supporting mods you need to make sure it runs right.

Here's a picture of the setup on an engine.

Attachments

• twin turbo srt.jpg
    twin turbo srt.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 294
or just put the money into a DSM that you would spend on a supra and eat the supra for breakfast:thumb:

I am not stupid. I know that T3/T4 is a hybrid turbo. The kid claimed he had TWO on his Evo. And he didn't say what size. I just gave him a blank stare after he claimed two turbos on his Evo without popping the hood.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back