The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Twin turbo? [Merged 11-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^^^ Which setup are you referring to? Because technically, there's both.

I'm not exactly sure Paul..Maybe I havn't been following like I should have..

So if there is a thing caled twin turbo on a single exhaust outlet, whats the difference?

I was always under the infuence that twin turbo was always on a 6cyl with two exhaust, (2 banks)..Not 2 turbo's off of one bank..

I'm not exactly sure Paul..Maybe I havn't been following like I should have..

So if there is a thing caled twin turbo on a single exhaust outlet, whats the difference?

I was always under the infuence that twin turbo was always on a 6cyl with two exhaust, (2 banks)..Not 2 turbo's off of one bank..
Here's what I know:

'Twin turbo' refers to two turbos of identical size. It could be each turbo running off of a separate bank of a "V" engine, or two like-sized turbos running off the same bank of an inline engine (like the pictures above), or it could be in a sequential configuration.

'Bi-turbo' refers to two turbos of differing sizes. Most commonly seen in compound or sequential configurations.

These are just PC terms. Kind of like differentiating between harmonic balancer and damper - although only one is correct, the terms are often jumbled. Many people that I talk to don't recognize the term "bi-turbo", so I often find myself describing my compound setup as "twin turbo". It's not the proper term, but it's more commonly understood by most people when describing an engine that uses two turbos.

So let me get this straight..Twin turbo is usually two turbo's of the same size on a v, 2 bank exhuast..But there can also be twin turbo on a single bank as long as there the same size?Like post 1067 above? Which what looks like 2 t25's at the bottom of the post....

Once you start with a small turbo feeding a large turbo like for reference you setup, means bi turbo or like your thread compund turbo setup?

So let me get this straight..Twin turbo is usually two turbo's of the same size on a v, 2 bank exhuast..But there can also be twin turbo on a single bank as long as there the same size?Like post 1067 above? Which what looks like 2 t25's at the bottom of the post....

Once you start with a small turbo feeding a large turbo like for reference you setup, means bi turbo or like your thread compund turbo setup?
Yes and yes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back