The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo making whining noise when warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicBoost

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba_Canada
Hey guys my turbo makes a whining noise when i let off the throttle, and blueish/white kinda smoke comes out when im at idle. Smoke only happens when car is WARM like about 20min or more of driving it starts to do this. I think seals might be done because the shaftplay isn't that bad, well there is some up and down. Turbo a goner? If there is anyone on here with a t25 or a 16g please hit me up

you have leaking valve stem seals, most likley whats happend is the carbon build up has works its way into the turbo, get yourself some lucas oil treatment, take out your turbo clean it up and out with carb cleaner along with your throttle body, just make sure you lube up the turbo again after you clean it

you have leaking valve stem seals, most likley whats happend is the carbon build up has works its way into the turbo, get yourself some lucas oil treatment, take out your turbo clean it up and out with carb cleaner along with your throttle body, just make sure you lube up the turbo again after you clean it

Lucas oil treament is the stuff you put in your gas tank. How would i clean the turbo? Just take off the intake tube and spray carb cleaner in the turbo? Or take the whole turbo out? I cleaned throttle body like 1 month ago. And what should i use to lube up the turbo and where exactly should i lube it up?

Okay about the turbo clean up, should i take it out or spray that carb cleaner stuff i use for my throttle body in the turbo and clean whatever i can reach. Also what is this lube and where do you apply it too?

ok lucas oil treatment goes in the oil hense oil treatment, and yes clean the turbo with carb cleaner and maybe even ask your local parts place for a SAFE dip to just soak it in and by lube i mean until its installed and hooked back to the oil line, pick up an all purpose assebly spray lube, spray it on and make sure its moving good. spray it in and out all over and yes take it off, but before you take it off get carb cleaner and rev your engine to about 3 grand and spray carb cleaner in to clean the valves do this before the oil treatment

ok lucas oil treatment goes in the oil hense oil treatment, and yes clean the turbo with carb cleaner and maybe even ask your local parts place for a SAFE dip to just soak it in and by lube i mean until its installed and hooked back to the oil line, pick up an all purpose assebly spray lube, spray it on and make sure its moving good. spray it in and out all over and yes take it off, but before you take it off get carb cleaner and rev your engine to about 3 grand and spray carb cleaner in to clean the valves do this before the oil treatment

Will do hopefully this works plus i haven't done that lucas oil treatment in about 6-8 months.:thumb:

yea man that lucas is great DSM's always have valve stem seal problems and it gets rid of a min of 90% smoke heres a pic

Attachments

• 449-OilStabilizer.jpg
    449-OilStabilizer.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 554
I would never put that crap in my oil first of you might as well use 50 weight oil as its the same thing all it does is thicken the oil. Second I am a manager at a huge auto parts store we had a lucas display and if you sit there and turn the wheels by HAND it foams like crazy. So just think what its doing in side your motor, plus the stuff is sticky like buble gum done think so then just stick your finger in it and find out. Next white smoke means you have coolant burning not oil. So you may be showing sings of a bad head gasket.

I would never put that crap in my oil first of you might as well use 50 weight oil as its the same thing all it does is thicken the oil. Second I am a manager at a huge auto parts store we had a lucas display and if you sit there and turn the wheels by HAND it foams like crazy. So just think what its doing in side your motor, plus the stuff is sticky like buble gum done think so then just stick your finger in it and find out. Next white smoke means you have coolant burning not oil. So you may be showing sings of a bad head gasket.

See i thought it was white but im blind because my buddy said it was blue and i noticed it as well. Plus if it was headgasket it would have troubles starting, coolant would be dirty, but all those are fine. Plus did compression test and everything was fine. So are you saying lucas oil treatment isn't good way to go?

it could be buring in the cylinders as that would make the white smoke, I am not saying for sure its a hg. I would of course have to see what the smoke looks like do you run hot at all? No I wouldnt put that stuff in my oil for nothing just do a search I tested it on the display because people on here saying it foams. And sure enought just turning it by hand for 5min it was starting to bubble and foam. So you can imagne what it does in your motor. Plus the junk is sticky as surp. I would just use a good oil and forget it. if its blue smoke its probably valve steam seals, or rings. You should do a leak down test.

I don't care where you work dude, for one if you knew anything about mitsubishi's you would know about the valve stem seals and how they go out all the time, and if you were even smarter then that you would realize that once lucas warms up it thins out. Until you can show me some facts compared to my personal knowledge of DSM, keep your comments to yourself. Even better if you had so much knowledge you would know that when DSM's have a valve stem seal leak the smoke DOES LOOK WHITE. Its called by burning oil at a slow pace and mixing it with wut else (hmmm) HOT AIR.

And this is for your own brain, all your answers about white smoke
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_can_cause_white_smoke_from_the_exhaust

first off if you could read its says blue/white, second I know what I am talking about do a search on the junk and you will see what I am talking about with the foam. Second to a small degree it will thing out but the oil pump the small turbo oil passages were not made for heavy stick surp to go through them period. Second you sould like your 16, and last the two ase patchs I wear on my arms every days says I know what I am talking about!

dude pleae tell me where I said I am smarter than you I didnt not, relax calm down and breathe. Next up do you really think I would have them if I didnt know what it means. Last do you know how bad you are making your self look by throwing a tantrum because I said lucas oil suxs and it does just do a google search. Tons of independt labs have the proof of it turning to foam. Look its there if that some how means your proved me wrong than so be it.

Oh and for the record valve steam seal leaks emit blue smoke not white if you thing I am wrong pm a wiseman get there .02 on it.

dude pleae tell me where I said I am smarter than you I didnt not, relay calm down and breathe. Next up do you really thing I would have them if I didnt know what it means. Last do you know how bad you are making your self look by throwing a tantrum because I said lucas oil suxs and it does just do a google search. Tons of independt labs have the proof of it turning to foam. Look its there if that some how means your proved me wrong than so be it.

Your right my friend, no need to get pissed off, but i was relating the link to the smoke color not the oil.

And also your not supposed to run the lucas full time ( i did leave that out) but yes it will seal the valve steam seals until the next flush

Oh and for the record here is answer nine from your link
White smoke is caused by engine coolant/Antifreeze being processed in the combustion chamber(s) of the engine.....ie burning, melting, frying, whatever,Peirod.... I'll explain further.... This is automotive chemistry 101....Oil of any automotive type burns blue..... too much fuel issues burn black not enough fuel issues burn grey on a cold day you may see what appears to be white smoke from the exhaust that will disappear after the vehicles engine has warmed up to it's normal operating temp.. This is a normal reaction called condensation... condensation is the result of a small amount of water/dew being drawn into the exhaust usually collecting in the muffler and/or the catalytic converter and is caused by our friend mother nature..... like when you see your breath on a cold day...

yes i know what white smoke means but your getting off the subject, read the forum and yes if your valve steam seals go out the smoke WILL LOOK WHITE I've had 4 dsms they all do it after 60g miles

Answer 2

If the exhaust billows white smoke for a few seconds when first starting the engine after it has been sitting for a while, such as overnight, and then runs normally, it could mean that the rubber valve stem seals have perished - especially if the vehicle is a few years old and has done over 60/70,000 miles.

Another clue is: does the exhaust smoke smell like fresh, rather than burnt oil.

Answer 3

White smoke or semi white can be produced in several ways. One way is oil this is normally a whitish blue to blue smoke and has the apparent smell of oil being burned. Next could be antifreeze when it is being burned it has a sweet type of smell and tends to dissipate in the air rather quickly. Next is automatic transmission fluid which is normally found on automatic transmissions and its normally drawn into an engine thru a vacuum line via a defective transmission modulator valve or some other defective part. Transmission fluid is very apparent and billows out so bad that you can't see anything behind you. Last but not least another type of smoke that is not white but black is the presents of to much gas/fuel being burned in the engine. Hope This Helps, EzForJesus

Answer 10

White smoke CAN be caused from oil....

I have fast-road engined 1987 Golf Mk II. If I boot it hard on tight corners, roundabouts, etc, it can cause oil surge in the engine and some oil can 'slop' into a cylinder. The James Bond style smokescreen it produces can be very exciting for drivers behind me!

So we are both right, but the issue this man is having is from the valve stem seals which will look like white smoke
So if you read the first post this man wrote you will see he said "and blueish/white kinda smoke comes out when im at idle"

Any other suggestions, weird part its fine for like 20 min of driving when engine gets warm it starts doing it. Only notice at idle too....not when im driving.... really confused. If it was HG wouldn't it be hard to start the car? Coolant would be all dirty? But i have none of those problems.:confused: Poonam i did what you told me i put the lucas and carb cleaned the turbo alot of black shit came out when i started the car. But it still does it but not as bad. I didn't take the turbo off though i just sprayed it in there. I guess it would be better too do both sides....LOL

what kind of whining does the turbo do. does it sound kinda like a supercharger, casue usally when a turbo whines like a supercharger thats a good indication that the turbo is shot

that oil treatment stuff is good stuff for the non turbo guys but for a turbo dsm i wouldnt use it. hes right it will block up the passages for the turbo. im sorry but for the non turbo guys its just a neon motor its nothing like a 4g63or 4g64. ive owned both they both have there upsides and downs. but there nothing alike

Why has only one person mentioned that the turbo might be shot? A whining turbo coupled with blue/gray smoke is a great indication that the turbo is bad. Take the intake off, stick your fingers in the turbo to check the shaftplay. Check side to side and in/out. If there is more than a few hairs of play side to side, its time to get a new turbo. In/out play is a little more tolerable, but you'll know if there's too much.

And VIC, I've already asked you to delete your phony dyno numbers. Those numbers are impossible to achieve on your setup. Who are you kidding? Tell it to some honda guys if you want, but it's pointless to lie in this forum.

:tease: "And VIC, I've already asked you to delete your phony dyno numbers. Those numbers are impossible to achieve on your setup. Who are you kidding? Tell it to some honda guys if you want, but it's pointless to lie in this forum."

Whining noise was solved was boost leak on vacum tube too the BOV. I did deleted my # i don't know why it still says that. But anyways ya guys still only happens when the car is warm, so im guesing thats when the turbo gets warm as well. I checked for shaftplay i barely even notice any, maybe a little bit up and down. Im guessing its the seals on the turbo. Its not pure white and it don't smell sweet at all, only happens when car warm and at idle....weird..... But smoke does come out when my bro hit the floor and ripped it and let go of the throttle and i did see smoke come out.

Take the intake off, stick your fingers in the turbo to check the shaftplay. Check side to side and in/out. If there is more than a few hairs of play side to side, its time to get a new turbo. In/out play is a little more tolerable, but you'll know if there's too much.

Isn't this backwards?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back