The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Whining noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yekrahs

Banned Member
Mar 14, 2005
niles, Michigan
Okay I thought it had something to do with my rear Differential, becuase it was leakin a little bit out of the notorious pinion seal. So I replaced it and changed the fluid and the same problem. Basically the faster I go the more intense the whine gets, and its loud when I'm coasting, or building speed. If I touch the gas 20% it doesn't make any noise? To me this sounds like something has to fluid. My tranny doesnt leak neither does my t-case, I thought it was my axle maybe becuase it felt like there was no grease in the boot, so I put some in and still makes the noise. I"m stumped. If you have any suggestions let me know thanks

Wheel bearings will whine when they start to go out then start grinding. Check the front and rear one's by lifting the front and rear of the car, not at the same tire, grabbing the top and bottom of tire and seeing if you can move it up and down. Put in the sidewall on the top and bottom of the tire. If it moves, they are going out.

I"ll check but like I parked my car, then when I went to drive it, it started whining?

Did it just start doing it overnight? Can you pinpoint the noise to one part of the car for us.

It sounds like its coming from like the transfer case in that area. Like I parked my car and then when I started it and took off it started doing it. Maybe some back information I was driving on the highway and my ebrakes locked up and when I pulled off, stopped, and went to go they completely locked so I had to go in reverse to get them to let go...I have no clue if this pertains to my problem?

Does that story have anything to do with my issues? maybe the back ebrake is still locked up or something?

Do you know for sure it was your ebrake locking up(on that incident)? Have you inspected the rear brakes, made sure they were lubed, had anti-squeal greeze on them, had pleanty of life left on the pads? How many clicks does it take you to pull up your ebrake? Do your rear wheels get a lot hotter then your front after driving and braking for little bit? A whining noise can really be a lot of things. Brakes could be the cause.. How are your driveshaft carrier bearings look? any play with your driveshaft? Did you check the wheel bearings? Can you hear it at low speeds? Maybe having someone outside the car as your driving slowly by them a few times can help pinpoint it..

It does start at low speeds and is not rpm related, totally speed related. The noise gets more high pitched the faster I go. When I tap on the gas a slight bit the noise goes away but when I start going faster it gets louder. Also when you coast its really loud. Actually there is a little play in my driveshaft...the rear carrier bearing/rubber support is a little torn, I will do the silicon fix. Could that be the culprit? and about the car stopping, I was just driving down the freeway and the car kinda jerked a little so I pulled off and then the car was stuck, I tried to go forward but it wouldn't go anywhere, eventually I went backwards a couple times and it like went errrrrrcoomf then it was fine after that. I could smell brakes though.

Are you 100% positive it was just the rear brakes that locked up and not all 4 wheels? I've left my e-brake on a few times by accident and the car always moved when I hit the gas. What your describing sounds like a full lock up in which case I would suspect the transfer case or transmission. Drop the t-case and make sure it has fluid and spins freely. Take off the passenger side wheel and check the tranny case for any cracks or evidence of leakage and check the fluid in the tranny. I wouldn't drive the car until you figure this out. I've had my tranny lock up all 4 wheels at 40mph and trust me it is a very scary and very dangerous experience!

i agree...sounds like the t-case or trans to me. i dont own an AWD, but....

guys - is there a way to drain the fluid on the t-cases guys?

if so, man maybe try draining the fluid in the t-case AND trans and check for shavings or any metal at all.

guys - do the AWD t-cases have magnetic drain plugs stock?

if so, check the plug for crap stuck to it....

an e-brake shouldnt really randomly lock up on you unless you yank it, so i'd guess it's either the tranny or t-case.

I went to drain the fluid from the transfer case and there was nothing inside....so that would probably be my problem. I'm going to replace the output shaft seal with the tranny in.

glad to hear you found your issue....hope the t-case isnt completely fooked. good luck!

Yeah it had a little bit of shavings, but thats normal I'm pretty sure after 150k miles. Ganna replace that leaking seal and put new fluid in and see if that noise goes away and I will definelty be inspecting the t-case while its out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back