The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo Maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djailer

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2010
Tacoma, Washington
I searched for something that would answer my question but didn't find much exactly on point. I would like to know if there are any specific things I can/should be checking to be sure my turbo is doing OK. I change the oil every 3-5K using RP 10w-50, clean the K&N filter with the kit per the schedule listed elsewhere here. I am leery of actually disconnecting any turbo parts since I have no idea what I am doing there and wouldn't be able to tell off-hand if something didn't look right anyway. I probably could do the Home Depot Boost leak test but there is no indication at this point that it is necessary.

I am not having any problems and can get up to 15psi indicated on the cheapo pillar gauge. I have no idea what kind of turbo it is, what injectors I might have, except that I am sure it is not stock. As far as I can tell it looks and acts like it was done right. I just want to be sure I can stay ahead of things and do what I can to maintain my beast. Meanwhile I have plenty of routine this-and-that which seems to come with being a DSM owner.

Pics. We need pics. Pics of the turbo (hot and cold turbine sides), pics of your injector rail (with the injectors pulled from the engine) will give us a better idea of what your working with.

I am not sure I want to take the fuel rail off, or the turbo for that matter. I don't know if I would get them back on without buying new o-rings/gaskets/whatever??? Not having done either before I am a little leery. Actually, I did take the rail off once, but that was part of rebuilding the whole head. This is my dd so I can't afford a day or three to figure out how to get it back on the road -just in case.

As an alternative, I tried some photos today but my cell takes crappy close-ups and - damn it anyway it is too sunny. What a problem to have:cool:

I can't even see my screen. I did get my glasses on and found a name plate.

Garrett
ZL1266J
MR187909
466491-5

I googled those numbers and the Garrett and OEM numbers came back to something close. They all key to a 4G6N engine, which my eclipse is not. I found some other posts here which suggest a T-25 but ??? Either someone installed the wrong one, or they knew what they were doing, or I didn't find the right link yet. I think the ZL part is the serial #. When it worked perfectly I could get a smooth 15 lbs boost at the top of the freeway onramp. Now I get some bumps and stutters between 10-15.

You have a T25.

Keep your oil clean, and use an oil with a high level of ZDDP....those are the only two things a turbo needs to survive. Unfortunately the T25 was designed with such a poor thrust system from the factory that there's not much you can do to drastically improve reliability. Keeping the boost level low can help- cranking the boost up on a used T25 with the standard 270* thrust plate will almost guarantee a failure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back