The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

transmission problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRand

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2004
Toronto, Ontario_Canada
Well well well, my transmission finally has something wrong with it.

NO 5th gear any more.

I noticed this morning when trying ot shift from 2nd to 4th the transmission got stuck and wouldn't let me put it in third. Then I left in netural for a sec and then finally went into third.

Well after class I get on the freeway and gears 1-4 are working just fine (with a slight rattle I'm hearing through all the gears not normally heard) and as soon as I go to 5th I push it in, and then it pops right out.

Just my luck. Now I've got to tear into it to find out what the problem is. I was just going to replace it but I can't find one for my car in town.

Sad day because I was looking forward to buying my megasquirt.

Often this is a bent shift fork. I would check the basics first, though.
Linkages, shift bushings, selector levers on the transmission, and fluid level. You can open up the transmission and make sure nothing is loose, while inspecting the forks and synchronizers.

If 5th popped out on you then most likely in addition to any other damage, you will need to change out the slider and gear.

Terry

yeah it looks like I can just replace the 5th gear set.....anyone know of a good place to buy it at?

Also Selmer, just wondering if you had the phantom grip or retrofit or anything kind of LSD in that tranny?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back