The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashirkey

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2009
Ft wayne, Indiana
To start i have a 1998 eclipse GSX with a 6bolt swap done, When i bought the car it had a little leak coming from the drivers side of the transmission where the intermediate shaft went into the transmission. i ordered the OEM seal from STM and i took the old seal out and made sure i put the new one in correctly. and lubed the shaft back up when i put the new on in and it still leaked. it has the 6 bolt a/c compressor bracket on it and I am not actually sure if there is a difference between the first generation and second generation intermediate shafts, or the a/c brackets are different sizes that align the shaft in the transmission. I'm not sure if it has the 1G shaft that has a smaller diameter where the seal rides at or what the problem would be. Any help or idea what the problem is would be much appreciated.

The ear on the intermediate shaft from 1g to 2g are different. The 2g has 1 bolt that does go through the a/c bracket. I always use a 2g a/c bracket when doing a 6-bolt swap. There is a good chance the thickness of the 1g to 2g bracket are different causing the shaft going into the transmission to be crooked or not center creating fluid to sneak past the seal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back