The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission acting odd. Shifting when it wants.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctspoolintsi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2009
St Cloud, Florida
Alittle quick back info. 92 auto awd with a 2g 7bolt motor. Got the car about 6-8 months ago and it has been on a couple different setups and never had any trans issues i have not unplugged any sensors on trans or done anything really to anything in that area. Currently its on a 20g , 30psi e85 , link, with the basic needed supporting mods. The trans has 2 coolers, a temp gauge , and the blue wire mod setup up to turn on and off with the eco power mode switch. its been this was since day 1 with the coolers and blue wire and has worked great intill recent when i changed the headgasket in the car.

Now the issue. I noticed recently right before i changed the hg when it was cold out side ( Florida 45-50 at nite ) car seemed to hang in gears alot and not want to shift into od when the trans was cold ( under 100 on the trans gauge) but seemed to get better and go away when gauge was 120ish give or take. So i kind of ignored it. Then i changed Headgasket and since then its been bad. ill be driving usually when the trans is cold ( under 100 on gauge) and ill be cruising at 50mph and it will just downshift to 1st then quick will go back to 2nd then sometime it will act normal then out of no were downshift , Sometimes it acts like i got the eco power button on and it will shift hard when i dont even have the button pushed. Doesnt like to shift into 3rd when its acting up. Ill have to play with pedal sometimes to get it to shift into 2nd and it wont do it till like 4500-5000 rpms. It seems to not get better when its warm any more. Its more random now it seems. I tried a dig with it when it was acting normal and it felt like it tried to launch in 2nd or 3rd felt lazy . then 20 min later it launched like normal and perfect. I checked fluids when hot and there all up to level .

My coolers are setup up like this.... Comes out of trans to stock cooler in sidemount location, then to trans temp gauge, then to aftermarket cooler behind the intercooler, then back to trans. So the gauge is reading after the stock cooler and before the after market cooler.

One thing a friend suggested that maybe my trans temp sensor was bad and it doesnt know what to do cause it keeps thinking its cold . Sound like anything?

Try pulling the TCU and inspect it for any damage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back