The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Trans problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2G Josh

Proven Member
Aug 23, 2014
Bloomington, Illinois
I was driving on the interstate yesterday and only going 70 on cruise control and I accidently bumped my shifter into neutral. I thought nothing of it and just put it back into drive. When I did that I believe I heard a loud thud and then my cars front end dipped down and the front tires screeched or skidded... Scared the hell out of me. But probably an hour later I stopped to top off the tank and that's when I heard loud noises from the car.

When at a light or complete stop the car vibrates and shakes. When turning at low speeds I hear clunking type noises. When driving normal it'll shift through the gears fine but I gave it a little gas and when it downshifted it took longer then normal and it kinda felt like it was slipping or something. And I I finally got home and into the driveway I shifted through the gears and a couple times at slammed really hard into the gears from like reverse to drive...

I've never had a car that had a major problem like this and nor am I a mechanic by any means. But obviously this is the transmission? What the hell did I do to the car when I was on the highway? Should I take it somewhere and get it diagnosed?

Sounds strange, only thing i can think of is because cruise was on when it went into neutral engine revved up and when you put it back in gear it broke the spiders or dif, drain the fluid and drop the pan to see if there are any steel on the magnets in the pan? Just a guess...

Pan on the bottom of the transmission, holds the fluid covers the valve body & filter. some good info here time to learn, he has service manual for transmission . http://www.atdsm.com/
After your first post I got to reading. Next time I have time I will drop the pan and see if anything is in there.

If there is stuff in there does that mean it's the tranny and not the dif?

Ok Turbo FWD Auto,

When at a light or complete stop the car vibrates and shakes. When turning at low speeds I hear clunking type noises. Sounds Like an axle or diff . When driving normal it'll shift through the gears fine but I gave it a little gas and when it downshifted it took longer then normal and it kinda felt like it was slipping or something. This sounds like clutch packs. And I I finally got home and into the driveway I shifted through the gears and a couple times at slammed really hard into the gears from like reverse to drive... again this sounds like diff or tranny, also check your motor mounts this can also add to the effects, more than 1 thing may have broke

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back