The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch or trans problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipkid

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2009
schwenksville, Pennsylvania
The past year or so I've noticed a wierd problem shifting into 4th gear with my '99 GSX - sometimes it pops out as I go to shift it. Doesn't happen with any other gear, and doesn't happen all the time.

But lately it has gotten worse - now almost all the time I shift into 4th it either is tough or pops out and I have to fight with it. This has gotten especially worse just this week, as I got majorly stuck in some mud at a friend's house last week and was burning the clutch trying to dig out (eventually I had to get freakin' TOWED out of the mud, which was all the way up to the bottom of the car in the front).

Before I take it to a mechanic am curious what it most likely will be - I'm thinking clutch, but seems odd it only has been with 4th gear. Any thoughts? The car has about 90,000 miles on it.

Sounds like the tranny if its popping out of gear, seems like a trans problem ive been there before, clutch was fine but tranny was defenitley toast.

Sounds like the tranny if its popping out of gear, seems like a trans problem ive been there before, clutch was fine but tranny was defenitley toast.

My popout happens when I shift it, then I have to coax it in gear - does that still point to the trans, or poss. clutch?

And very dumb question - I assume a clutch replacement would be like around $800 (? with all the labor charges) whereas trans work might go into the thousands? Is that correct??

same thing happen to me with my first tranny but only difference it did it in second gear its definetely to tranny

:cry:

It all depends who is doing the work. I could do a complete clutch job start to finish including parts/labor for under $600 easily. Although some shops might charge you alot, While others are honest people who will charge you a ''fair'' price.

As for the transmission replacement. Again, It all depends on the shop. I charge under $500 to remove/replace a trans (trans not included but can be had for $300-600 mint).

Your problems sound like the transmission, Or a shift cable problem. It definatly is not the actual clutch/flywheel especially being it is only happening in one gear. It is either trans related, Or shifter cable adjustment related.

I'm having the same problem except its my first gear. Only happens once in a while and not all the time which makes me hope that it is just a shift cable prob. Keep us posted!

For something like the 4th gear synchro, is that a pretty major trans repair that requires removing it completely, or could it be done with trans still in the car (hopefully meaning it won't be as expensive as complete rebuild or replacement)??

And would the shop be able to diagnose that as is before working on it, or would they have to take the trans out first or whatever etc? I ask because last time there they when took stuff apart to diagnose, they could not get the right parts the same day, they could not reassemble the car with what they took apart, leaving me stranded & scrambling for a ride home after hanging out there all goddam day in the first place.

mine is clutch related, but it wont go into first at a stop and is a pain in the ass to get into gear. clutch is slipping so bad though it's sad. to your question, the trans has to be pulled and taken apart to be fixed or pull it and put a diff 1 in.

For any gear synchro to be replaced the transmission has to be taken apart and yes it will be some chunk of change. Im not saying thats your problem but it sounds like it from your symptoms, try to have it looked up by a speed shop or some kind of shop that specializes in vehicles like ours beacuse a regular shop will most likely tell you to replace the clutch as they really dont diagnose well. What kind of tranny fluid are you running, if you dont want to spend the money yet try replacing it with something called Neo transmission fluid, google it i heard it works wonder i will be replacing my tranny fluid with this on the summer.

For any gear synchro to be replaced the transmission has to be taken apart and yes it will be some chunk of change. Im not saying thats your problem but it sounds like it from your symptoms, try to have it looked up by a speed shop or some kind of shop that specializes in vehicles like ours beacuse a regular shop will most likely tell you to replace the clutch as they really dont diagnose well. What kind of tranny fluid are you running, if you dont want to spend the money yet try replacing it with something called Neo transmission fluid, google it i heard it works wonder i will be replacing my tranny fluid with this on the summer.

Thanks.

I got a recommendation for a shop in my area (JNZ Tuning), they work on Eclipses quite a bit, spent some time talking to them on the phone and am impressed with their knowledge on a several things I asked about. I am going to try to take it to them next week and get this fixed, along with some other things. Now I just gotta figure out where the $$ is gonna come from.....

My 98 is doing the same thing in second gear....its a synchronizer! You have to get the tranny pulled and the synchronizer replaced....im about to do it to mine prob not gonna be fun...but good luck!

My 98 is doing the same thing in second gear....its a synchronizer! You have to get the tranny pulled and the synchronizer replaced....im about to do it to mine prob not gonna be fun...but good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too.

I dropped my car off at JNZ today, will be worked on this week. They think it is probably the "bearings". I'll know more in a couple days.

As of Friday I cannot shift into 4th gear at all. I guess I should be thankful though, that seems like the best gear to lose and still be able to get around the past couple days.

probably not but check the shifter bushings,at the shiftr and the linkage at the tranny, though usually that will just result in grinding gears. if they are totally worn it could cause some troubles. good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back