The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tranny is not shifting in any gears after a violent kick during downshift

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atblacktalon92

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2002
winnipeg, Manitoba_Canada
My 1992 FWD automatic tranny is not shifting into any gears after a voilent jerk during downshift while I was making a right turn. There is no sign of solenoid or any gears trying to make contact after that violent down kick when I tried accelerating and after making my right turn. What could be the possible tranny part might be responsible for this? Would it be the torque converter? Can anyone tell me if rebuilding the tranny will cost me more than $1000? I would appreciate any information that you will provide. Thanks.

Of course a transmission rebild is going to cost you more than a 1k. I doubt the left turn had anything to do with the trans going wacky, I'd call it pure coincidence.
There is no way to tell what the hell happened in your car, other than the clutches are slipping up. When you day it won't go into any gears, are you saying that it will only sit in N or maybe it'll go into third and not the others....

The tranny is not engaging in any gears and its like sitting in neutral. No 3rd gear or any sign of cliking or engaging sound.

Sounds like your clutches are just totally burned up.
You also should just check that all the shifter linkages are intact and aligned, but I doubt that's the cause.

Before that violent downshift kickdown happened, the tranny often downshifts really hard whenever I punched the throttle. Any Idea how much would an automatic clutch service repair would run me if thats the problem? BTW thanks for the info. :)

k i just got my tranny rebuilt cost 1100 but i had the shift kit and ipt manual valve put in and every part i could get new for the tranny- valve body, solinoids, end clutch kit,torque converter etcc....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back