The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

car not going into reverse or not shifting.. any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highintenzity4

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Mission, Texas
Did a motor rebuild and installed torque stall billet converter and now car running funny... Idles ok but when I put it in reverse it revs up... Most of the time when I put it on drive the car shuts off... I think I have a leak on throttle body but not sure if its that bad... Also when I was able to actually take off the car was not shifting, rpms kept climbing at slight throttle... I even tried manually shifting from 2nd to d but still rpms did not drop... Connected my dsmlink and got a tranmsission code... Any ideas or something to look at? I already checked all my fluids and all sensors are connected... Thanks.

IMO check the TCU, and all the sensors again. It's easy for some of the sensors to be connected, yet the PIN(2) not make connection. It sounds sorta like you have a problem with the TQ, or Solenoids. Do you have 3rd gear (limp mode) And check the linkage for play, and proper connection of the wires going to module that the linkage connects to. I would also test the solenoids, you can probibly find information on that with a search.

Find out what that code is. Then get a flow chart for the diagnostics. I don't have a 2g schematic here, but on the 1g's it's easy to get the pulse generator and the shift solenoid connectors hooked up backward. I know, because I've done that. You get instant limp in mode. As far as reverse not holding, mine did not exhibit that problem. I know that a lot of the problems stemmed from the cooling lines plugging up and allowing the transmission to overheat. This usually results in having to rebuild the transmission.

Did this start only after the engine rebuild? I hate to wonder if the torque converter is absolutely the right one.

You might have to pin test the tcu in each gear to see if the shift solenoids are receiving their proper voltages. There's 2 wires on the front of the trans near the oil pan. These are your shift solenoid wires. On 1g's it's orange and yellow/green. In first gear one or the other is hot. In 2nd, the other one is hot. In 3rd neither one is hot. This is to make sure that no matter what, you can get home.

Good Luck

How can I tell if I have a wrong converter? All this started happening after magnus intake manifold, 1g tb, and billet converter install... When I put it on Drive the rpms drop and shuts down... Does this have anything to do with transmission?

My point is if you had absolutely zero problems before all this was installed, I'd take a serious look at the parts I put on. Even if they are new, which means never ever worked. I'd probably look at the converter first. Remembering if it was ok before that's where I'd start.

Good Luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back