The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Torquing main and rod bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
My service manual says to torque the rod bolts 14.5ft/lbs plus 90* and my mains to 18 ft/lbs plus 90* as well , is that right?

If that is what it says then it is right.

do what the book says. alot of vehicles call for an additional 90*

Stretch is a much more accurate way of torquing than just "click click" anyways.

My service manual says to torque the rod bolts 14.5ft/lbs plus 90* and my mains to 18 ft/lbs plus 90* as well , is that right?

That's what it say's in 7 bolt manuals, and you're suppose to use a torque angle gauge for best results otherwise just guesstimate with markings. ( white out)

That's what it say's in 7 bolt manuals, and you're suppose to use a torque angle gauge for best results otherwise just guesstimate with markings. ( white out)

For my stock rod bolts, I just took a hammer and tapped the old ones out then tapped the new ones in. I torqued them both down to 14.5 ft/lbs and plastigauged them. After that I torqued them all down to 14.5 ft/lbs and pretty much just eyeballed the 90* turn. I guess we'll see what happens when I get it back together. Not saying this is the right way, but thats how I did it with the stock 2g rod bolts.

I torqued my ARP main studs to 65 ft/lbs. Just make sure to do them in the right sequence and do them in increments with the last being the biggest jump.

Good Luck!

The torque angle method is the least accurate method to tighten the rod bolts.

Using a torque wrench is better than that if you know what the final torque should be. I personally measure rod bolt stretch. Thats the most accurate.

Rod bolt stretch is definitely the MOST accurate, followed by angle torquing, then by click click. The worse part is that a bolt stretch gauge is super expensive for a weekend wrench spinner.

Rod bolt stretch is definitely the MOST accurate, followed by angle torquing, then by click click. The worse part is that a bolt stretch gauge is super expensive for a weekend wrench spinner.

40 bucks from jegs or summit will get you a good rod bolt stretch gauge.

ARP's site lists the torque angle method as the least accurate, not saying your wrong, just saying I definitely trust ARP.

ARP | Tech - Installation

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back