The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Too low for insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashram

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2005
columbia, South_Carolina
Hello everyone I'm having a big problem right now. Geico is threatning to drop my insurance coverage if i don't go back to factory height. This whole problem started from a tow truck operator telling Geico that my car only had an inch of clearance from the ground, which is total b.s. . My car is lowered 2 inches on gold line springs. I went to the geico center today to get my cars ride height inspected the lady measured my cars height at the bumper and got 4 inches of clearance. Is this the correct way to measure a cars ride height? I think that she should've measured it at the side not the front bumper.
What really makes me mad is that i had my car inspected at pep boys about a year ago and it passed the height inspection. So I get it inspected a year later by some secretary and I fail inspection. Is this legal, I mean would'nt geico have to prove that my cars ride height poses a threat to me and the drivers around me. I've had geico for 6 years now so based on this policy they have been insuring a car that is unsafe to drive for the last six years.
If anyone has been through this problem before please give me some info.

Go to your states DMV and find out what the law says..........I know here in Texas the minimum height is 24 inches to the center of the headlight (pretty vague, huh?). Then go back to your insurance company and show them the "law" and that you conform to it (if in fact you do).

F**k Geico, go Allstate or State Farm. Geico and Progressive both have sh*tty policies, and won't cover a vehicle if modded in any way. Seen this quite a bit while working in a body shop during college. For instance, a guy came in with a front end collision. Wasn't too bad, just a new bumper and grill and one headlight assembly. He had "oversized" tires, which were the same circumference tires as stock, just bigger rims. (Lo pro's on a truck). Geico wouldn't cover him, because he had "oversized tires", but in the state of Maine, you can have bigger rims if it does not change the tire circumference. He took it to court and got a nice settlement check afterwards, plus a shiney front end.
Don't let them screw you over, find out your laws in your state, and prove to them that your car is indeed safe or not. Just because one state is different, doesn't mean that the same law exists in other states. Insurance companies are out there just for your money anyway.

Geico is a pain in the butt if you do anything to your car. They told me they wouldn't cover me if I ever got a roll cage or put nitrous in the car. Maybe it is time to switch insurance companies.

As soon as your car is "modified" at all they might jack your insurance rate up (or coverage down). as far as pep boys goes, what they measure is varyation from side to side.

South Carolina State Vehicle Law:
http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t56c005.htm

SECTION 56-5-4480. Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.

Whenever a requirement is herein declared as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible or within which such lamps or devices shall render objects visible, such provisions shall apply during the times stated in Section 56-5-4450 in respect to a vehicle without load when upon a straight, level, unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different time or condition is expressly stated. Whenever a requirement is herein declared as to the mounted height of lamps or devices, it shall mean from the center of such lamp or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when such vehicle is without load.

SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks".

SECTION 56-5-4500.

Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches to be measured as set forth in Section 56-5-4480. However, this section shall apply only to new vehicles sold in this State after June 30, 1949.

SECTION 56-5-4520. Height of tail lamps.

Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than sixty inches nor less than twenty inches to be measured as set forth in Section 56-5-4480.

If you can prove you did not move the vehicle more than 6 inches up or down from its stock location and all other lamps are above the minimum then Geico cannot legally complain... however they have every right to deny you coverage irregardless.

Thanks guys for the quick and informative responses. I contacted my states dmv office who then directed me to the highway department . I spoke to a major who gave me information on S.C. vehicle laws and he gave me the same info that splitpi provided. I'm gonna call Geico tomorrow and read them my states vehicle laws. I still think that they'll come up with some b.s. as to why they think the car is unsafe. I'm just thankful they don't know about the t3/t4. going back to stock height is not gonna happen, i'm currently looking at a coilover setup that i can use when i get the car inspected again. Geico however has lost a customer, i never had one speeding ticket or filed one claim with them. And i'm sure a lot of you know how hard it is not to speed when your boosted. And this is the thanks I get fore driving safely for six years. If any of u guys have Geico, do not fill out that modification list that they send you. Because they will try to drop you.

Well enough ranting. I'll let you guys know what happens after i speak to geico tomorrow and thanks again for the help.

If any of you guys have Geico, do not fill out that modification list that they send you. Because they will try to drop you.
If you don't fill it out, and you have modifications, they will probably not cover you in the case of an accident.

Don't try to snow insurance companies. They have many more laws protecting them than we have protecting us.

For insurance, go to your local insurance brokers, who carry more than one line of insurance. They'll find you rates much less than any companies you've heard of.

For info- cars in California can't have any portion of the chassis lower than the rim of the wheels.

I see what your saying defiant, but i live in south carolina,not california so the law is
different. And as far as the modification list goes, that just another way for geico, i can't speak for other insurance companies. To either drop you from your policy or raise your rates. So I will say it again if you have geico do not fill out the modification list because they will drop you.

I see what your saying defiant, but i live in south carolina,not california so the law is
different. And as far as the modification list goes, that just another way for geico, i can't speak for other insurance companies. To either drop you from your policy or raise your rates. So I will say it again if you have geico do not fill out the modification list because they will drop you.

And you are missing the point... if you don't fill out the list and you make a policy claim they can deny the claim due to negligence on your part on accurately detailing the car. So you are in effect running the risk of paying insurance for no coverage.

If you feel that is a risk worth playing to save yourself some money then fine... all the power to you. If not, then seek out a different insurance company who will cover your car as it stands for a price you are willing to pay. It just is that simple.

But what you are advising people to do is extremely poor advice.

I agree, that if you want your car totally protected by coverage, you need to claim the mods.

However, in case of an accident, the insurance company can only contend 2 things:

1. They will not pay for the replacement of the modified parts because they were not calculated into the value of the car.

2. The modification was a direct cause of the accident/damage.

Otherwise, take them to court for it and get everything else paid for, as the remainder of the vehicle (assuming the modifications did not cause the damage- which is easy if they pull the "he was going fast" thing, since a 140hp civic can do 130) was covered by the policy. and the damage was not due to modification. Defiant's right, most of the laws in our country are made for and to protect insurance and oil companies. But, small claims cases should be easy to prove.

Hello the statement I made about geico is right and wrong in a way. I spoke to a geico
reprensentative about modifications that are ok to have and those that are not. She told
me that most cosmetic items such as wheels and upgraded stereos are ok to have.

lowering the car however is not allowed and neither are any engine modifications. So if
you have changed your suspension or modified your engine do not put it on the mod list.
because geico will drop you.

That why i have chosen to leave geico, so any of you guys
have geico and are lowered or have engine mods beware. whether a person chooses
to follow my advice is up to them. I just don't want anyone to have to be put in the situation that i am currently in.:(

lowering the car however is not allowed and neither are any engine modifications.
Progressive is the same way.

So if you have changed your suspension or modified your engine do not put it on the mod list. because geico will drop you.
Even if you dont tell them of your modifications upon starting a policy, they will drop you upon inspecting your car after you make your first claim (if ever). That's how Progressive got me.

Progressive dropped me a couple years back.
Reasons:

1. I changed my suspension geometry.
- Lowered 1.6".

2. I have seating and safety equipment that promoted illegal street driving.
- Racing seats and DOT approved 4 pt. harnesses.

3. I have aftermarket wiring that was evident of "race use".
- F*&king toggle switches to control aftermarket lighting.

4. Race engine.
- Back then it was a bone stock 7-bolt, T25 powered, 15 psi, with an Injen dress-up kit.

And the list goes on. They were a bunch of hard-ons and came up with the dumbest excuses to deny me coverage. In the end, I layed down my defenses and shopped for a new company. I ended up with Allstate, which happened to be hundreds of dollars cheaper anyway. Score for me.

My advice: Don't contest them. If they want to cancel your policy, they are going to do it no matter what you do or say. They will always find a reason. And there are so many insurance companies out there that would love your business. It's funny - every time I shop for new insurance rates, I ALWAYS find one cheaper than my current company. Good luck. :)

My advice: Don't contest them. If they want to cancel your policy, they are going to do it no matter what you do or say. They will always find a reason. And there are so many insurance companies out there that would love your business. It funny - every time I shop for new insurance rates, I ALWAYS find one cheaper than my correct company. Good luck. :)

Very sound advice.........if you don't like where you're at, move somewhere else.

AARP actually sponsers me and give me free insurance for modding my car LOL. If you just have liability who cares anyway. If someone hits you the other insurance company will pay for part of your mods trust me. I totaled 2 different cars :) LOL

AARP actually sponsers me and give me free insurance for modding my car LOL. If you just have liability who cares anyway. If someone hits you the other insurance company will pay for part of your mods trust me. I totaled 2 different cars :) LOL
Dude, you can't make statements like that. Insurance law varies state to state. Here in MI, if you just have liability, you're screwed.

Yea if you hit someone, but if you have liability and they are at fault they pay for it.
i can control my driving, but not the stupid woman driver.

Progressive dropped me a couple years back.
Reasons:

2. I have seating and safety equipment that promoted illegal street driving.
- Racing seats and DOT approved 4 pt. harnesses.
Yeh. Fascinating that an insurance company -fully a third of who we have to thank- would have a hissy-fit about equipment that does ten times the job of a goddamned face bomb, without toxic fumes and lethal rocket engines.

But we's jes' de help here on the plantation. Do ya's work and pay dem taxes. :toobad:

Yea if you hit someone, but if you have liability and they are at fault they pay for it.
i can control my driving, but not the stupid woman driver.
Exactly my point. In MI, we have "no fault insurance". If you have liability only and someone hits you, you're S-O-L. Like I said, it varies state-to-state.

Call your states insurance commision and explain the situation.

If I got this right you went to p-boys for a required inspecton that geico wanted and they measured from 1 point on the bumper to the ground and a geico secretary measured from another point on the bumper thus the discepancy?

Id try and find out what geico's OFFICIAL policy is on ride height measurments and what method they're supposed to use to get that measurement. If they have a clear policy it shouldn't be hard to figure whether the p-boys inspection was correct or whether the secretaries was. But basically I'd go higher up in geico's chain of command inquiring/complaning about this and put it in a letter detailing what happened and make copies of it because there's going to be more than 1 person in the company who you can contact if need be and send it certified so as to ensure getting a proper response.

Perhaps go back to p-boys in the meantime and ask them about those ride height measurements, state law, and insurance co policies.

I tried to get Geico standards on how they measure a car height, but the representative said that all the information is handled by the underwriting department. The representative
also told me that if i have any kind of suspension modification, geico will not cover me.

I even read her south carolinas law on lawful vehicle height. She basically told me that geico does not have to go by my states height requirements. At this point I am so over this whole situation, there is no way that I'm going back to stock height so after this year I'm done with geico. I appreciate the advice though:thumb:

I tried to get Geico standards on how they measure a car height, but the representative said that all the information is handled by the underwriting department. The representative
also told me that if i have any kind of suspension modification, geico will not cover me.

I even read her south carolinas law on lawful vehicle height. She basically told me that geico does not have to go by my states height requirements. At this point I am so over this whole situation, there is no way that I'm going back to stock height so after this year I'm done with geico. I appreciate the advice though:thumb:

You may want to leave Geico immediatly and get a refund... since they just told you have violated your insurance and will be uncovered because you lowered your car with other than stock suspension.

Why pay for non-coverage? Get in an accident and they inspect your car and see the mod they will deny your claim and you are out of money and you paid for that luxuory. Is that worth paying for?

Shop for a new insurance company, Geico will not cover you as your car stands today.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back