The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TOB damaged Input Shaft Collar, How Bad Is It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIturbo91

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2009
Oswegatchie, New_York
A DSM Wiseman's input would be great

Well after searching all morning on google, dsmtuners, and alldata and not turning up an answer I figured I post it.

So I bought a built transmission off another user on here and I've just gotten around to pulling it off the built motor I got as well for inspection. I was told this whole assembly had about 10,000ml on it. And the parts do look new enough but the throw out bearing from ACT was used from what I'm told was the ACT2900 kit. I'll include pics for any insight as to what stage it could be. And Is the scoring really bad or about average? Also should I see adverse effect from it if I have to manage? I just ordered an OEM TOB from STM. So I can avoid further damage. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• image-1566861418.jpg
    image-1566861418.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3129722890.jpg
    image-3129722890.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2760037267.jpg
    image-2760037267.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1286524259.jpg
    image-1286524259.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3242292852.jpg
    image-3242292852.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
No problem glad to try and help

The disc looks like it has about that mileage (10K) judging by the meat left but can't say for sure without maybe a comparison. I've had 2 ACT pressure plates and both had a little bit of wear on the fingers where the TOB rides. Not sure how deep is too much but mine was probably .030" deep and been using it for a few thousand

Here is a good thread I updated on identifying ACT clutches via the diaphragm fingers, although I don't know exactly what number a 2900 would be. It might be MB-010XX or just a 3 digit number

Sorry, I don't know much about that collar situation. Mine looked about the same but never measured it

I'd like to be able to help more than that but I'm not going to guess on something like that. A wise man / more knowledgeable person should drop some insight! :)

Thanks for the info man. I looked and looked and didn't find the thread you recommended. Probably because I have to rely on my iPhone so much out here. But high speed was just installed and by just I mean they literally laid line last week and they just set up appointments for home installs. It blows having to use the iPhone for everything.

Anyway I found the number but will have to contact them. I have 6 #'s in all and no X's. Unless the 121 is the model number referring to the 2600... Not sure. I do see some fracturing on the pressure plate friction disk so it looks like it was a hard 10,000 miles, LOL but it was threw in for free so can't complain. Also I will be DDing it till I have some more disposable income so aside from a few good pulls I won't be launching it but say maybe a hand full of times. I'm just worried the TOB could detonate if I have excessive vibrations from the tolerances being out of whack. That being said its a Dog box engagement trans so I shouldn't need it as much.

Attachments

• image-3662307736.jpg
    image-3662307736.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 53
NHerron said:

Thanks, I'm not sure what the 254 is for, but it's looking like its the Xtream set up. The clutch disk is pretty identical to what I saw in the product line. Thanks for the help. As I've said when it comes to metal fab and body work I know my Sh!t but ask me an in depth mechanical question and I hit the book LOL. So thanks for the insight.

Well to wrap up this thread to some degree I'm going to put what another member told me in a PM. For future reference for other members. And if anyone else can add to this be my guest. Its just been a bit stagnant.

This was the advice---> Those collars always seem to be worn down like that. As long as the TOB doesn't catch on the grooves, you should be alright. Yours looks about average. I had one once that was really deep, and I filled the grooves with JB weld, but I don't think yours is anywhere near that bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back