The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

To tune or not to tune, your opinion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosljeff

Okay, I am doing everything I can on my ride all by myself with my garage, my tools, and my "know-how". However, there is only so much I can do right now....so...

with that in mind, what should i do regarding a complete tune up? Go to a trusted shop, Satan, or what? I am unaware of any reputable sport compact garages in my area so I am at a loss. There may be one in Salt Lake City. I will be getting my student aid in a month and I want to get a total run through/tune up. What do ya'll think?

I don't want to take it to a place that looks at my test pipe and doesn't know what it is for and so on.

Thanks for your time.

i tihnk you can do the wires, plugs, airfilter, pcv vaulve and cahnge the oil by yourself without much trouble. how much more are you looking to do then this?

WHat exactly is this "full tune up" you are talking about? You should be able to do everything yourself, and if you can't, then you should be able to find a DSM'er in your area that can do it.

Just FYI, this forum is for tuning (air/fuel ratios, timing, boost, knock, power, etc) not tune-ups.

....Kyle T.
93 TSi AWD "TURBO4"

Originally posted by mitsuspeed
i tihnk you can do the wires, plugs, airfilter, pcv vaulve and cahnge the oil by yourself without much trouble. how much more are you looking to do then this?

also set the timing at 8 degrees if you dont have a jumper wire, if so it should be at 5 degrees btdc

Or, don't do it without a jumper wire. Its not hard to make one.

...Kyle T.

Originally posted by kpt4321
WHat exactly is this "full tune up" you are talking about? You should be able to do everything yourself, and if you can't, then you should be able to find a DSM'er in your area that can do it.

Just FYI, this forum is for tuning (air/fuel ratios, timing, boost, knock, power, etc) not tune-ups.

....Kyle T.
93 TSi AWD "TURBO4"

Well a "full tune up" is just what I am calling something I kinda don't know. I was raised by a Dr. (not complaining) so I didn't exactly grow up restoring cars. So I am learning this stuff as I go. I replaced my clutch myself and have done everything else thus far. However, my limited experience/knowledge has know been exposed. I guess I just want to ask what all should a "full tune up" include. I want to make sure everything is in good working order before I go any further. I read Buschar's and other's staged mods and I want to get everything working perfect before I start with mbc, test pipe, etc....

I have done plugs (NGK) and oil and a complete engine flush recently, but what should I do to get my ride at a good baseline before I go on?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Thanks for not chewing my ass.:thumb:

So yeah, basically there is some newbie in me still. So I appreciate your tolerance and help.

Boz

Originally posted by tan

also set the timing at 8 degrees if you dont have a jumper wire, if so it should be at 5 degrees btdc

I'm enough on the newbie end of the spectrum to know that the following question may tick ya off....

I am know whatcha mean with the 8 degree (I think), but jumper wire/btdc? Sorry.:confused:

BTDC means before top dead center. When you set your timing, you are setting when the spark takes place, compared to the piston's movement.

In order to properly set the timing, you have to ground out a connector in the engine bay, so that the ECU knows you are adjusting the timing, so that it will not move it all around while you try to change it.

There is a VFAQ on adjusting timing at www.vfaq.com .

...Kyle T.

Thanks Kyle. I actually found a guy that is reputable about an hour from where I live. Podunk Idaho requires a little searching to find people that know what they are doing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back