The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Tire-spindle clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
I just got some 235 nankang ns2-r's mounted on my 18x8.5, +46 gram lights. I expected it would require spacers, which it does, however due to the fact that the nankangs run about 10% wider than their advertised size, this has become a bit of a hassle.

This is the clearance I've got with 7mm of washers.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's only about a 1-2mm gap so it actually looks like more clearance than it is. I'd like to get the smallest spacers I can get away with cause the tires are already protruding from the car but I'm not sure how much gap between the spindle and tire I need to compensate for tire flex and whatnot. I know there's no way to just say how much I need due to tire differences and whatnot but I figured as many people as I've read putting 255's and 245's under our cars combined with autox and road racing someone has to have an idea of what they're comfortable with. I also was wondering if 2ga rear spindles have the same "curve" as the front spindles. Will I need the same spacers in the front as the rear or do the front have more room to work with? I had the front of my car on the ground last night and diddnt feel like dropping the rear and raising the front to check and see if they were the same as the rear. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about that. 235/40/18. Between 25.5 and 26 inches tall. 2ga knuckles also. I'm trying to eliminate as much rear camber as possible so the idea is to get as close to the spindle as I can and still be safe. Also does anyone know how much room swapping to 2gb knuckles frees up? Do you happen to recall you're clearance between your 2gb spindles and tires @Black95TSIawd

I did not measure, but a visual inspection showed plenty of room. I was not worried and put over 1000 street miles on that setup. My car is a 98.

Ever thought of picking up a set of 2gb arms?

I did not measure, but a visual inspection showed plenty of room. I was not worried and put over 1000 street miles on that setup. My car is a 98.

Ever thought of picking up a set of 2gb arms?

That's basically why I created the thread. IT seems like spacers that actually come with the 67.1mm hub bore I need only come in 10mm+. I'm trying to determine which would give me the least clearance I need and still keep as much of the hub protrusion I can retain.

Well, why not a 10mm spacer? That will put you at +36 and get you to fit better and have less poke than I do considering I have another half inch of rim width.

I think the perfect fit for a stock body is a 9 inch wheel with a 35 offset. Puts everything in the perfect spot albiet with 2gb arms.

Well, why not a 10mm spacer? That will put you at +36 and get you to fit better and have less poke than I do considering I have another half inch of rim width.

I think the perfect fit for a stock body is a 9 inch wheel with a 35 offset. Puts everything in the perfect spot albiet with 2gb arms.

My car is in desperate need of decent coilovers. Tokico's springs drop out cars wayyyy too much in the rear. As low as the car is, I need every mm I can get away with on the spindle side to keep my camber sane. Until I get out of college, coilovers are out of the question so I'm stuck bandaiding what I have. I've been looking for something cheap and hardware store related to put between the strut towers and spring hats in the rear to pick up about an inch so if I manage to come up with something there I suppose 10mm spacers would be acceptable.

I see. Yes, if you notice in my picture below, my car was not dropped too low. I'm sure if I was "dumped" i'd probably have to roll the rear fender lips although my suspension was pretty damn stiff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back