The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

timing please HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbomoe

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2007
LINCOLN PARK, Michigan
Okay I Tried To Set My Timing... I Think I Tried A Bunch Of Times But I Still Couldnt Get It In Time. So The Last Try I Did And The Motor Got Locked Up.

Now It Will Go Clock Wise About 2 Times And Lock Up And Counter Clock Wise And It Will Do The Same And Lock Up.... What Should I Do... What Should I Look For....

I Took Up The Valve Cover And It Seemed Like 2 Valves Are Bad... Or Bent Or Broke... But Why Is The Motor Lockin With The Timming Belt Off

WTF . Why would you turn the crank with out a timing belt . With the belt off the valves are still pushed out by the camshafts . With the belt and head on you should never turn it counter clockwise . Please try to explain better . step by step ..

Like the others said dont turn the motor with the timing belt off. It's bad. Just put your crank back on the mark and go from there. One little trick I use to help with the belt and cams is to line your cams up as close as you can. They are under a load so they want to spin. Bring your belt up to the intake cam. Line the cam up and put your belt on it. Then take a pair of vise grips and lightly clamp the belt to the pulley. Then move your exhaust cam into place and put the belt on it. Clamp that to the exhaust cam pulley with another pair of grips.Then slide it onto your tensioner pulley. Just make sure as you do this that you keep tension from the crank gear to the oil pump gear to the intake sprocket and so on.I have even gone so far as to put a clamp on the crank gear to help hold the belt on there as well. All of your slack will be in the area of the tensioner pulley which is where you want it. Hope this helps and keep us posted. Travis

If you align all the marks up before you take the t-belt off. Then take the t-belt off, the exhaust cam will kick back counterclockwise/retard. The intake will stay where it is at, and all the valves will be closed enough to so that the pistons wont contact the valves if the crank is turned over. They will clear. You can verify by looking at the valve spring retainer heights.

Well I No 2 For Sure Are Bad.. Cause When I Took Off The Valver Cover It Looked Like 2 Are Bad On The Exhust Side. I Realy Can Tell How Many Of Them Are Bad Till I Take The Head Of Right... But I Dont Understand Why I Was Still Geting Comperession.. When The Belt Was On I Turned The Motor And It Turned A Few Times And Locked Up

Something is not right, if you bent the valves, it should not lock up. Do you mean lock up as in it gets hard or lock up as in, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to move? Is the timing belt still on? Take the spark plugs out and spin it by hand. It should be relatively easy to move 2 full rotations.

Well I No 2 For Sure Are Bad.. Cause When I Took Off The Valver Cover It Looked Like 2 Are Bad On The Exhust Side. I Realy Can Tell How Many Of Them Are Bad Till I Take The Head Of Right... But I Dont Understand Why I Was Still Geting Comperession.. When The Belt Was On I Turned The Motor And It Turned A Few Times And Locked Up

you can't really determine they are bad just by looking, unless the rockers fell off or they are loose enough to remove by hand. i'd say find a local DSMer to give you a helping hand.

Can I Get A Number For A Local Dsmer? To Help.... And To Rockers Did Fall Off

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back