The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Timing belt questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgio213

Proven Member
Sep 27, 2017
Massachusetts
So I'm in the process of doing a complete rebuild on my 1G talon. Naturally all timing belts and components are being done. I picked up this kit.... https://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=28040&cat=1828&page=1 the gates "economy kit" from extremepsi. A gates belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, OEM tensioner, gaskets, O-rings, tensioner pulley, Idler puller for a pretty solid deal. The belts are comparable to OEM or greater from what i've read. However I'm wondering if I should shell out the extra dough on a gates "racing performance" belt, the fancy blue ones and such, they definitely appear to be a higher quality material at a premium of course. This belt wont see tremendous power yet as the motor will be in its break in stage. After break in, will be time for the bigger turbo, FMIC installed, and new injectors... Should I just throw the "racing Performance" belt on then? or can is this belt solid? I'm shooting for 400+ HP after break in on the motor... As always, thanks in advance.

Youll be fine with the economy kit. Ive done multiple timing belts jobs on heavily abused dsm's while using Continental, Gates, Dayco, OEM and all have performed just fine.

I agree with the previous post that what matters is that you replace your hydraulic tensioner.

I watched this video in the past when I had another eclipse and as a refresher when I did some of my first timing jobs on outlanders, lancers, eclipse's etc. I wanted to share it with you guys. He's working on a 4g64 sohc, however it's all stuff that applies to the 4G63. What I wanted to share most is at the end of the video where he shares some advice to consider. He says never use Gates or other aftermarket timing parts. He says he's a 19+ year mitsu tech and that they never quite got it right. Anyways, there are some great tips about the balance shaft etc to learn from this anyway, worth a watch.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Every mitsu Ive done timing on, I've gone with "Mitsuboshi" (yes with an o) belts, and "GMB" pullys, tensioners, and waterpumps. That's my personal preference. All my research has shown them to be the best quality combination.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back