The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Timing Belt Cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesbabybones

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2002
Milton, Florida
I'm doing a 6 bolt swap in my gst and I already have the timing belt on and set. I realized later that I forgot to put the 2 inner timing cover pieces on beforehand. It doesnt look like I can install the pieces without taking everything apart. Which I really dont want to do. My question is can the lower timing belt cover be installed without the 2 inner pieces? thanks

If you are referring to the two metal plates that are on the upper end of the cover that bolt to the head, then you will have to remove the motor mount and put them back on. It is not 100% necessary to bolt the timing belt cover on, but I would put at least the front one on as it also serves as I'd like to have as much of a shield as I can between the belt and the exhaust manifold.

blackGSX2g said:
If you are referring to the two metal plates that are on the upper end of the cover that bolt to the head, then you will have to remove the motor mount and put them back on. It is not 100% necessary to bolt the timing belt cover on, but I would put at least the front one on as it also serves as I'd like to have as much of a shield as I can between the belt and the exhaust manifold.

Hey blackGSX2g, those two metal plates you are referring to, do they have a part name or number to them. I am in the process of doing a 6-bolt rebuild and noticed those were missing. It seems as though one of them served as a shim for the tensioner as well, cause without it the belt was wearing on the inside very badly. But I didn't want to call around the local junk yards and sound like a complete idiot trying to describe to someone where they are and what they do and not have them understand. Thanks for the help.

MD 129344 for the bigger piece,and MD 127142 for the smaller one. I've decided that since I wont be getting my lower timing cover from slowboy until some time next week,that I might as well go ahead and put the inner covers in like they're supposed to be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back