The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Timing belt and tdc problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo4g

Probationary Member
Feb 26, 2011
Santa rosa, California
I have a 1991 eclipse gsx and it recently SNAPPED a timing belt. When the car died I tried cranking it a little bit and no start. I took cam gear cover off and saw the belt was loose and it snapped near the crank pulley. I can't turn the crank pulley to line up the cam gears because the belt is snapped. So how else can I line it up tdc? And since I cranked it a little after it died I'm sure it's way off timing.

I'm sure you're valves are bent/broken since you cranked it a few times after the belt broke. They actually got smashed when the belt broke, so you didn't really make it any worse.

Start checking the classifieds for a used head and start taking your engine apart to check for piston damage.

Sorry.

I haven't done a timing job myself but if I remember correctly the guy who helped me removed the spark plug to reduce resistance to practically nothing then turned the crank pulley by hand to get to TDC.

I haven't done a timing job myself but if I remember correctly the guy who helped me removed the spark plug to reduce resistance to practically nothing then turned the crank pulley by hand to get to TDC.

This is a big thing so you're not fighting with the compression of the motor.

Another thing, do you have the cam timing marks aligned? Make sure the two white marks are facing each other on the cam gears. This will make sure the valves are shut so you don't hit them with the pistons when turning the motor.

dam it............................... this ### sold me this car.

Where do you get the tool he used to make sure the mark on the crank sproket was in time with the cam gears? I accidently turned my crank while the belt was loose a couple teeth.. tried to turn it back some to compensate but wanna make sure it's in time..

usually when a belt breaks, the valve spring pushes up on the valve spring end to push against the cam lobes to actually rotate the cams to TDC, but unfort, if valves are bent, this can't happen.

...the big issue with interference engines where the valve and piston occupies the same space at a different time.

There is a good timing procedure on the site, but I would first pull the head and see what your working with.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back