The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Time for a new BOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herostar said:
would that be the same blow off valve in the MR2 that is in the all-trac celica?

the early (and US models) might not have even had a bov. that bov is the same one used on the ST205 celica, but i'm not sure about the ST165/185's. the ST205's were never imported to america though.

Many BOV manufactures use this theory, and many of us have proved it wrong. They all say they'll hold, but few of them actually do......

keep in mind too that the diaphragm inside is flexible and will not efficiently transfer all the force from boost pressure to the valve spool. the valve seat, on the other hand, is not flexible and will transfer all the force from pressure on the valve seat. there is usually also a slight difference in pressure between the pipes and manifold, with the pipes being slightly higher. this is why the diaphragm part of the BOV is so much larger in diameter than the valve seat. force=pressure*area. more area on the diaphragm helps transfer more of that force, but still not all of it. the spring is there to assist it.

polarmoment said:
keep in mind too that the diaphragm inside is flexible and will not efficiently transfer all the force from boost pressure to the valve spool. the valve seat, on the other hand, is not flexible and will transfer all the force from pressure on the valve seat. there is usually also a slight difference in pressure between the pipes and manifold, with the pipes being slightly higher. this is why the diaphragm part of the BOV is so much larger in diameter than the valve seat. force=pressure*area. more area on the diaphragm helps transfer more of that force, but still not all of it. the spring is there to assist it.
Right, but BOV's like the Turbo XS dont use diaphragms like the Type-S. Turbo XS states that if you're applying equal boost pressure plus the force of the spring on the top of the valve, then you will never have to worry about it coming open. That does make sense in words, but that's not the case on many guy's cars.

Then why does TurboXS rate their valves if there is no max psi???? Somebody is full of dog doo.

I'm still a beleiver in the Type-S. It did flutter a bit with the 16g, but with a 50trim or larger it has driven like stock. No adjustments, no lower nipple, just the top adjustment screw threaded in just enough to plug the hole, and some teflon tape to keep it from leaking.

Holds pressure to at least 30 psi, I can't get the pressure tester to keep from blowing off the turbo inlet to test any higher.

what about the turbonetics valve or the blitz, the tnetics raptor recirculates, and ive seen the blitz and tnetics godzilla made to recirculate via the open exit parts they come with...

talon96tsi said:
what about the turbonetics valve or the blitz, the tnetics raptor recirculates, and ive seen the blitz and tnetics godzilla made to recirculate via the open exit parts they come with...

I have the Turbonetics Raptor now and I am happy with it. Recirculates and is fairly quiet. Very nice product.

yeah but how many lbs are you pushing through it? cause i bet its not 30 :rolleyes:

I don't understand the rolled eyes, but since you asked it's 24.

L2RTSiAWD said:
TurboXS only hold 25psi. So those are out.

I have the TurboXS Typle Ultra BOV. It will hold up to 50lbs. Give TurboXS a call, I'm sure they wil have something to fit your needs.
Joe

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back