The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

this is ridiculous

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlMcMlx DsM

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2005
Madison, Wisconsin
So ive replaced the ISC, TPS, rebuilt the TB, blocked the EGR and i still have this surge under throttle. I cant drive it anywhere because it cant be driven how it is. It will shake bad, because when you try to give it throttle, it just surges. I think im just gonna take it to a dealership and have them work on because i cant figure this out. Unless you guys have some ideas.

Mass air sensor? Mine used to surge under throttle when my maf was bad.

idk, that could be the problem. I got a used one from the classifieds, but it could be bad. I get a code for a barometric pressure sensor, which i know is in the MAF. I might just get a hard uicp and order a GM MAF with a translator.

well i called the Mitsu dealer, and im taking it in next week monday. Im just tired of dealing with this car. I dont have the proper tools like a diagnostics scanner, or a voltmeter, or ohmmeter. Im just going to let them do what they need to do, and well see what it is. With my luck, its probably going to be something small and stupid.

well i called the Mitsu dealer, and im taking it in next week monday. Im just tired of dealing with this car. I dont have the proper tools like a diagnostics scanner, or a voltmeter, or ohmmeter. Im just going to let them do what they need to do, and well see what it is. With my luck, its probably going to be something small and stupid.

Small and stupid is usually MUCH less expensive than huge and complicated.:thumb:
Sounds like you care more about your mechanical skills than your pocketbook. Good man!!:thumb:

ok so the cars been at the dealership for a week now, and i guess all the wiring to the motor was messed up. The wiring harness and everything. Since the ECU is not from a 1990, im guessing the kids who had it tried to make it work. So i guess they pulled the motor to re-wire it all. There was also tons of vacuum leaks and the hoses were all messed up. No emissions and what not. Im hoping for a call either tomorrow or very soon.

ahh! the stealership is gonna rape you for a couple grand at least...

LOL, i was the day i bought the car. Yeah, i know its not gonna be cheap. But thats the least of my worries. I really dont care about money, all i want is to feel that thing build boost and spin tires :thumb: I got more than enough, so im not really concerned

Before you go to the dealer I would pull the ECU and check the capacitors. These cars are old and the board wasnt designed to last more than 10 years. Its a WAY cheap fix. Take it out, send it off, and put it back in. Theres a guy on Galantvr4.org that rebuilds them for like 15bux. His name is Terry Posten. If this is a route you wanna go pm me and I can send you his information. I had a 91 GSX with horrible idle surge and I tried all the same things you have then I switched the ECU with the one from my galant and wala it was fixed. Also, wether this would fix it or not you should get the capacitors replaced on the board soon.
Goodluck
Wes

yeah, the ecu is one of a 1991 and up. and the car is a 1990. So doing that would probably be a good idea. I got someone buying some speakers from me next week, hopefully ill have the talon back by then. Ill go check that out on GalantVR4, thanks for the info.

if i were to just buy a rebuilt 1990 ecu from the classifieds, would one from an AWD work? b/c mines a FWD TSi

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back