The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Third gear pull tuning advice PLEASE

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleunit

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Im new to the tuning game. My wideband is reading that I'm running rich with an AFR of 9.6-9.9 during WOT. Can I lean it out and gain some more power? :cool:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said in the thread about tuning your SD, you are running out of injector at 5.5k RPM. Look at your datalog and find your InjDuty and follow it as you track across the 3rd gear pull you did. Anything over 80% your injectors are working out of their efficiency range. At 100% that means the ECU is no longer opening and closing your injectors, they are open 100% of the time spraying fuel into the cylinders. You can definitely lean things a bit using your fuel sliders or your OpenLoopMaxOct DA table, I suggest using DA since your running SD. Remember that formula I posted in your other thread to get your AFR numbers to match your DA? By running a leaner AFR you'll get some of your injector back but I HIGHLY suggest turning the boost down to 15psi until you get the car tuned, then turn up the boost making minor adjustments as you go.
Use the below AFR's to tune for depending on the type of fuel your running, just remember every car is different.
91 octane - 10.5~10.8:1
93 octane - 10.8~11.1:1
E85 - 11.8~12.1:1​
Also remember that the 1g timing tables (seen in your DA TimingMaxOct) are VERY aggressive from the factory. Your not seeing any knock in your logs now because your running so rich but as soon as you start leaning it to the above AFR's your timing will be too aggressive and you'll start to knock. The common thing for 1g DSM'rs to do is load the factory 2g timing tables and then tune for the above AFR's. After they get their AFR's where they want them then they begin to advance timing until they start to pick up knock again... Just something to keep in mind.

Heres the 2g timing maps, you can see how much more aggressive your 1g's are. Stock 2g Timing
If you want to load them like I suggested just open the TimingMax and TimingMin DA tables and save them to your ECU. You can always go back to the stock 1g ones so don't worry, to do it you just right-click the table and select reset to stock.

When it comes down to it your probably going to want to upgrade your injectors and don't forget to SMOOTH out your VE table. I noticed you made changes to your MAFcomp sliders but those do nothing when your running speed density.

:dsm:

Your welcome and gofers only my tuners name, thats why I put Corey at the bottom... LOL

Open your VE table and track the log, you can even detach it from the settings page and make it a seperate window if its easier for you. Your AFR's on the wideband are rich but your also running the stock OpenLoopMaxOct/OpenLoopMinOct tables in your DA which are rich. Make changes to your DA fuel tables to the suggested AFR's I posted up above, remember those AFR's are when you've reached full boost. I did somewhat of a "write-up" on how to make it a bit easier to tune using DA, heres the link to it... Easier Tuning Using Direct Access Just tune your OpenLoopMaxOct table and once youve got everything where you want it copy and paste it into your OpenLoopMinOct table, remember keep it SMOOTH.

Once your DA fuel tables are set then its time to start tuning your VE table using that formula...
New VE = VE cell being used (AFR displayed on WB / AFR cell being used in your DA table)

A quicker way to change cells in your VE/DA tables are to navigate them using your arrow keys on the keyboard. Once you come to a cell you'd like to change hit (CTRL+UP arrow) to increase the value or (CTRL+DOWN arrow) to decrease the value. To select multiple cells at a time to change you hit the (SHIFT) key as you move through the table and select them, then once you've selected all the cells you've wanted to change once again you'll use the CTRL button and the arrows to change the value of ALL the cells.

AND DON'T FORGET TO LOAD THOSE 2g TIMING TABLES!

:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back