The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The limits of the stock converter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
My car is a 96 GSX with 126k on the auto trans. I have:

-IPT end clutch kit
-IPT manual valve
-TransLab shift kit
-19,000 gvw cooler

Turbo is an evo3 16g.

Last year, I was doing 12.6-12.7 all day with 1.800 60' fts. This is all on the stock torque converter. I was able to build whatever amount of boost I wanted off the line, usually I did about 24 psi off the line.

Here's the thing. It seems like most people are saying that the stock converter only gets them up to 2500-2800 RPMs. Well MY stock converter easily stalls at 3500-3600 RPMs. I have also heard of a few other people (DSMScreamer for example) saying that they were able to do the same on their stock converter.

Does that mean there is something wrong with the converter? Or is my stock converter just paired up nicely along with my current torque/horsepower output? If I can make all the boost I want off the line and stall to 3600 RPMs, do I really need a restall at this point?

I have also heard that if you stall up TOO HIGH, you will actually be out of the converters stall and into the clutch pack? However, I read a post from Kevin (Kiggly) and he said that he has never had a problem with the car going past the stall and into the rear clutch pack. So it is possible that my converter "stalls" so high because I am passing the stall and going into the clutches? Kiggly's post kind of already answered that question as NO, but I am just making sure. He said in his post that he has never had any damage on the rear clutch from stalling to high.

I am just trying to figure out why MY stock converter stalls much higher than most normal peoples. Is it just reacting well to my torque output? I am asking this because torque converter stall is not based only on the converter, but also by the engine power output.

My stock converter does the same as yours. I can stall it up to 3500rpm with 23psi off the line. This was on a e16g too. I'm going to see how this stock tranny holds up with a holset now, because I'm curious to see if I can build any boost off the line with this now.

Interesting.. My GSX which was also an auto would only stall around 3200rpms.. Stock turbo was building 12-13psi off the line and holding that the whole way.

Well, I tried to lauch my car last night with my stock tranny and a holset h1e. I could only get it up to 2000rpms. I didn't know that the stock converter and tranny couldn't spool up this turbo AT ALL! Any suggesitons besides putting in another converter?

Well, I tried to lauch my car last night with my stock tranny and a holset h1e. I could only get it up to 2000rpms. I didn't know that the stock converter and tranny couldn't spool up this turbo AT ALL! Any suggesitons besides putting in another converter?

spray spray and oh yeah maybe some spray.. LOL.. I am running a t67 with a .82 exhaust and build no power till 4500 and the only way to get the car moving race wise is to spray the hell out of it off the line.. spin those tires.. LOL.. I now have my ipt trans and 4600 stall in it now so im launching it like there no tomorrow, and its still driveable..:sneaky:

The guy above me couldnt be more right, IPT Torque Converter+Spray=AWESOME LAUNCHES!

I ran consistent 1.4 60's last year with a 75 shot that lasted maybe a half second, I was running about 40 lbs of boost and the n20 shut off at 20. I am doing a similar setup this year but with a direct port setup that turns off at 30 psi.

Are your guys IPT's actually holding together? A local around here had a brand new IPT installed and got maybe 10 track passes and 15 track passes before breaking it and having to send it back. Car wasn't anything special just a stroker with a fp3065.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back