1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

The Boosted Rose

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Spokane Valley, Washington
    Yeah, definitely looks awesome. And now that you say it, it does really look like their 16G manifold... more clues to the mystery manifold puzzle LOL

Thanks man, really appreciate it!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

155  5

2019 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

668  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  2. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Got the car leak-down and compression tested and was surprised by the results. The car has around 140K miles on it, and a history that is mostly unknown to me. I'm just glad I can actually build the thing without worrying about it failing LOL IMG_2577.PNG
    I didn't like the 25% result for cylinder #2, but since the compression is similar to the other cylinders I think it's going to be ok... at least, I HOPE it's going to be ok.

Now the question is (now that I can actually build this engine), do I stick with my 16G plans or go with a 68HTA? A friend of mine brought up the 68HTA, and it will definitely get me to my 350whp goal no problem, with some room to grow, but a 16G is the 'easier' route, since you can basically buy a 16G and an install kit from Extreme PSI and be good to go. Oh the choices...

Thanks for reading! And here's the video:

155  5

668  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Didn't do a whole lot this week, I just put the Carbonetics headlight cowl on. Looks pretty good, I just hope it doesn't fall off (it's only got 3M double-sided tape holding it on LOL).

Turns out, the cowl is actually meant to be installed with the chrome piece AND the black insert cut and removed... so I had to use a Dremel tool (which seems to be a regular on this build haha) and grind the back of the cowl down to fit. Not perfectly flush still, but should be OK.

Pictures!!
    IMG_2528.JPG
    /\ Had to make the whole a bit larger

Before:
    IMG_2599.JPG

After:
    IMG_2624.JPG

Personally, I dig it.

Thanks for reading!!

Video:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020

155  5

668  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Ok, so it's been a couple weeks since I posted last, but I've got some things to share.

First off, the Cerakoted manifold started chipping... dang it LOL Got it recoated, but this time in black since it had a much better track record for not peeling/cracking. Give it another two weeks and... it's peeling again. Granted, I did give it a couple scratches by accident during installation, but it is peeling in places that I didn't even touch. I guess the manifold is just old. Which I knew.

Good news though! I was able to replace the thermostat FINALLY. The car has had problems warming up since I bought it, but in the last few months (as it's been getting cold) the car never really made it to proper operating temp. And then I'd turn on the heater and the gauge would drop almost to the bottom! So I decided to not drive it anymore while it was cold outside until I replaced the thermostat, and last Saturday I did. Now it actually warms up normally! And GOODBYE check engine light!

Man, it's really satisfying when a repair goes right for once LOL

Thanks for reading!

Here's the video:

155  5

668  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I had my hot parts kit coated by Polydyn and that stuff is pretty soft. Just rubbing on the cardboard it was laying on would cause marks. Oh well, I guess that's how ceramic coating just is? Thought it would be tougher.

Street Build 4K  4

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Yeah, I guess you just have to be REALLY careful with it, but some bolts are just hard to get to when installing the manifold! LOL oh well, it was a $40 manifold, can't really complain.

155  5

668  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM