1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

The Boosted Rose

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Spokane Valley, Washington
    Yeah, definitely looks awesome. And now that you say it, it does really look like their 16G manifold... more clues to the mystery manifold puzzle LOL

Thanks man, really appreciate it!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

173  5

2019 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

789  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  2. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Got the car leak-down and compression tested and was surprised by the results. The car has around 140K miles on it, and a history that is mostly unknown to me. I'm just glad I can actually build the thing without worrying about it failing LOL IMG_2577.PNG
    I didn't like the 25% result for cylinder #2, but since the compression is similar to the other cylinders I think it's going to be ok... at least, I HOPE it's going to be ok.

Now the question is (now that I can actually build this engine), do I stick with my 16G plans or go with a 68HTA? A friend of mine brought up the 68HTA, and it will definitely get me to my 350whp goal no problem, with some room to grow, but a 16G is the 'easier' route, since you can basically buy a 16G and an install kit from Extreme PSI and be good to go. Oh the choices...

Thanks for reading! And here's the video:

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Didn't do a whole lot this week, I just put the Carbonetics headlight cowl on. Looks pretty good, I just hope it doesn't fall off (it's only got 3M double-sided tape holding it on LOL).

Turns out, the cowl is actually meant to be installed with the chrome piece AND the black insert cut and removed... so I had to use a Dremel tool (which seems to be a regular on this build haha) and grind the back of the cowl down to fit. Not perfectly flush still, but should be OK.

Pictures!!
    IMG_2528.JPG
    /\ Had to make the whole a bit larger

Before:
    IMG_2599.JPG

After:
    IMG_2624.JPG

Personally, I dig it.

Thanks for reading!!

Video:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Ok, so it's been a couple weeks since I posted last, but I've got some things to share.

First off, the Cerakoted manifold started chipping... dang it LOL Got it recoated, but this time in black since it had a much better track record for not peeling/cracking. Give it another two weeks and... it's peeling again. Granted, I did give it a couple scratches by accident during installation, but it is peeling in places that I didn't even touch. I guess the manifold is just old. Which I knew.

Good news though! I was able to replace the thermostat FINALLY. The car has had problems warming up since I bought it, but in the last few months (as it's been getting cold) the car never really made it to proper operating temp. And then I'd turn on the heater and the gauge would drop almost to the bottom! So I decided to not drive it anymore while it was cold outside until I replaced the thermostat, and last Saturday I did. Now it actually warms up normally! And GOODBYE check engine light!

Man, it's really satisfying when a repair goes right for once LOL

Thanks for reading!

Here's the video:

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I had my hot parts kit coated by Polydyn and that stuff is pretty soft. Just rubbing on the cardboard it was laying on would cause marks. Oh well, I guess that's how ceramic coating just is? Thought it would be tougher.

Street Build 5K  4

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    Yeah, I guess you just have to be REALLY careful with it, but some bolts are just hard to get to when installing the manifold! LOL oh well, it was a $40 manifold, can't really complain.

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    The time has come... execute order 16G...

Sooooo last weekend I ordered pretty much everything I need to finish this build. Once I found out that the engine was in descent shape, that was basically the green light to move forward with turning my mostly stock GST into a 350whp one. This is a complete list of what's on the way :D

From Extreme PSI:
    Evo III 16G
    Install Kit (for a side mount intercooler)
    6 Ply Turbo to Manifold Gasket (I don't trust my 1 ply)
    255 LPH Walbro Fuel Pump with Install Kit
    1000cc DeatschWerks Injectors (Low Impedance)
    Stage 3 Daily Driver Sound Bend Clutch Kit
    OEM Throwout Bearing
    Metal Shifter Bushings

From Rix Racing:
    DSMLink V3 with ECU

From Special Carbon Fiber:
    Carbon Fiber A Pillar Covers with Gauge Pods

From Prosport Gauges:
    Digital Boost Gauge
    Digital Oil Pressure Gauge
    Digital Air to Fuel Ratio Gauge with Install Kit

I think that's about it. The Extreme PSI stuff will be here in a week, the gauges will take two weeks or so since they were out of the oil pressure gauge I ordered, and the other stuff I have no clue when they'll be out but they're coming! The only thing I need now is enough people to take part in the upgraded side mount group buy :sneaky: *hint hint*

I was hoping to get the Quaife LSD as well... but, uh, that was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be LOL so I'm just gonna throw on the fender flares I have and put on some sticky tires :hellyeah:

Obviously, there's going to be a bunch of little things here and there that I'll be doing to this car throughout it's lifetime, but this is basically going to be as far as I go power-wise (on this engine ;))

Thanks for reading!

Here's da video:

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    The journey continues... in a unique way :sneaky:

So, I have a slight fascination with doing things differently from everyone else. Case in point: the way I did my fuel pump re-wire.

Generally, people run the wiring under the carpet on the passenger side of the car, and hide the relay and wiring either under the rear seats or under the plate that covers the fuel pump. I said “to heck with that!”. I wanted to 1. Make everything easy to access, 2. Keep things neat and out of the way, and 3. Include a kill switch. Here’s how I did it:

I started by running the power wire through the firewall on the passenger side, and then I hid the in-line fuse holder right behind the carpet; easy to access, and out of the way.

63514134-E169-4F1F-9CC9-ABBFB3C2F7C8.jpeg

Next, I ran the power wire behind the center console and to the left of the steering wheel, where I drilled a hole and hollowed out the section where I installed the kill switch.

AB2BC593-8F04-4F6F-8105-49888EA082CA.jpeg

I grounded the kill switch to a bolt directly underneath the steering column.

70BCF1DB-2EE7-4509-BBD2-A35DAADC2D65.jpeg 1D3D1339-7540-40B8-B426-12C562F52240.jpeg

I then ran the power wire through the center console, and this is where my technique really starts to differ from the way most do the fuel pump re-wire.

The wire from the kill switch goes underneath the cup holder and connects to the relay. This is where the relay will be; easy to access and out of the way. Ever need to get to the relay? Just pull the cup holder section out!

99642150-A010-4A9A-B20B-842A5EC2D9BA.jpeg

Finally, I ran three wires to the fuel pump by using one of those grabber tools (normally used if you drop a bolt in the engine bay or something) to pull them out from underneath the carpet; one for the remote, one for the power, and one for the ground. I just poked a hole in the boot that connects to the cover plate and fed the wires through that.

53E4CA22-8BB3-41B6-BB7D-201831AC4F5B.jpeg

I also ended up grounding both the relay and the fuel pump underneath the cup holder. Not sure if the ground for the fuel pump needs to be close in proximity to the pump so the wire is shorter (not sure if that matters, I’m not an electrician LOL), but it’s worked so far.

DF1AADE6-80FF-47F6-B413-CC9ED1BBE09E.jpeg 5F5997B6-0C0F-4F39-A037-89E999AE2C2A.jpeg

That’s it! I’ll be updating this thread soon on how I wired up my new boost gauge :hellyeah:

Seriously, you guys rock

Video:

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Helaman-99

Helaman-99 Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2019
    So

I am in the process of wiring up all the aftermarket gauges I have for my car (boost, oil pressure, and air to fuel ratio). I've decided I'm going to wire all those up and ensure they are working, and then I will begin replacing the turbo, injectors, ECU, etc.

For simplicity's sake, I wired all the gauges together (which may have been less simple LOL) so that they now all share the same power, remote, and ground wires.

For the power, I sent a 12 gauge wire to the battery, and included an in-line, 10 amp fuse (fire bad).

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG
    /\ The second fuse is for the fuel pump.

For the ground I connected the wire to a bolt underneath the brake line (also with a 12 gauge wire).

IMG_3258.JPG

For the remote wire, I just wired the gauges to the remote wire that goes into my radio (because I didn't trust the cigarette lighter to work haha)

Now for the boost gauge.

Prosport's boost gauge uses a sender. So instead of running a vacuum line all the way from the engine bay into the cabin, you just have to run a short line to the sender, then send the signal and remote wires into the car. I decided to hook the vacuum line up with the line coming off of the fuel pressure regulator, so I mounted the sender as close to it as possible, grounded it right there, and then ran the signal wire to the boost gauge and remote wire to the radio.

IMG_3056.PNG

IMG_3057.PNG

I tried to tuck everything behind other wires and stuff to keep them out of sight, and to keep them from being snagged by my feet or the pedals... I'm no professional though so it's not exactly pretty underneath my dash LOL

Thanks for reading!

Here's the (not-so) long anticipated video!

173  5

789  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM