The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G TCU Trouble codes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonf90

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
davenport, Iowa
95 GSX A/T. so i did a TCU code test and i got two codes 84 and 44 that comes up as Open or Short-circuited Shift Control Solenoid valve B and Shift Control Solenoid valve B what is the procedure to change/fix the solenoid. there is a slow shift from 3-1 3-2 when at a stop light. and P-r is a little rough also N-D is a rough shift but 1-2-3 is flawless.(needs end clutch [ordered]) (fluid is at perfect level)

ALSO if anyone can provide a schematic for the changing of these solenoids it would be greatly appreciated. (my haynes doesnt include this)

Ok...im not much of a brainiac at dsm but most a/t's are usually the same in some way...if im wrong I apologize...but usually the tranny will have either a side cover where they may be located or...like with ford and chevrolet...the solenoids are mostly located in the bottom pan where the filter is...id guss to try the lower pan first...its the easiest and if they are theyll be right there for easy access...

Ok...im not much of a brainiac at dsm but most a/t's are usually the same in some way...if im wrong I apologize...but usually the tranny will have either a side cover where they may be located or...like with ford and chevrolet...the solenoids are mostly located in the bottom pan where the filter is...id guss to try the lower pan first...its the easiest and if they are theyll be right there for easy access...
thx for the info. anyone else want to chime in with possible info on these transmissions?

I have a ipt end clutch ordered for my OD. Would the bad end clutch cause the two codes I've received (84 and 44)? Also where can I find the connections for these solonoids schematic would be best

Last edited:
Just remember that if the transmission is old, never had an transmission oil change and you put new fluid in it will probably wipe current transmission out.

ATF fluid breaks down the transmissions rubber parts to begin with but only so much and when the fluid becomes shot and keeps being ran with it and then you finally put new fluid in it basically just acts as a wash and will make you completely loose all gears.

I have a ipt end clutch ordered for my OD. Would the bad end clutch cause the two codes I've received (84 and 44)? Also where can I find the connections for these solonoids schematic would be best

The shift control solenoid harness comes out of the case through a grommet and has red, orange, yellow, and blue wires. Follow it to the shift control solenoid valve connector

I don't know if you already read my reply in your other post but in case you didn't, your codes refer to a short in solenoid "B". I don't think your end clutch will effect your solenoids. Check your solenoids and if any are bad you can change them by removing your transmission pan, transmission filter, and valve body. Be careful when you remove your valve body as there are several sizes to the bolts that hold it on and there is an o-ring and several moving parts that you need to be aware of. Do your research first. I strongly recommend getting a year specific factory service manual.

Last edited:
So believe it or not I figured out the problem. The tps was slipping from being set to being way out of wack and throwing it into limp mode. Now for some odd reason it was giving shift solenoid b malfunction. I set it and torqued it down good then the code went away and now its running perfect

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back