The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Targa T-top [Merged 7-7] T tops targas conversion

What is more unique?

• Awd Spyder (black w/ black top)

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Targa Gsx

Votes: 45 75.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I noticed today that the windshield isn't very strong. I'm going to weld a brace from one A pillar to the other to see if it helps. I'll do that test with my door when I get the weather stripping done.

Also, Dre... your car is what inspired me to do this. When I first saw it, I was like "DAMN! That was meant to be like that!" Thanks for inspiring me to do the craziest thing I've done in my life.... take a saw to my baby :thumb:

I would assume the easiest and most effective way to brace the roof would be to attach bars from the top of the A-piller to the top of the B-piller on each side. It wouldn't cut into the headroom as much as a full cage and still give you the open air feeling with all of the rigidity of the roof.

The problem with doing this on a 1G is that we have that door frame around our windows. The 2Gs just have a free standing window (not techincally free standing, but thats the best way I can put it).

maybe on the 1g you could attach the section of the window surround to the targa panel. Although it probably would interfere with the windows when the doors close with the roof on unless the seal design was modified.

I've seen a cavalier do that. They cut the window frame off the door and welded it between the A and B pillar. Then touched it up with bondo and painted it. It sealed up good still and looked really nice.

i had a supra na and a supra turbo targa and the targa weighed couple hundred more due to abs and more support for the targa. but even with that support at around 60 the back would shake when the top was off and def was as rigid. but my friend has one and we made up support bars that connect the four points with polished aluminum pieces def helps. i hope you put supports on the car before cutting so it wouldnt flex while the top was cut off. if you did your just making the car stronger when it already flexed.

Damn thats tight i was looking at my car one day saying i was gonna make a targa out of it but couldn't figure out how id make it work seeing how the doors have the window sill attached to it..musta been bad drugs ROFL nice job man :talon:

this is my second try ,before i tried on a rolling chassis that i was going to junk
i have a ton of pics i'll post the complete project once im done

Attachments

• pics 157.jpg
    pics 157.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,642
  • pics 158.jpg
    pics 158.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 940
  • pics 159.jpg
    pics 159.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 851
If I'm not mistaken, there's gonna be a lot of structural work needed to support the missing roof LOL.

Rollcage people, rollcage :D

Making a mini-Supra are ya?

That a Charger in the background?

When you're done, is he going to race you by the railroad tracks like he used to back in high school?

:D Just messing with ya man, good luck with the targa.

yep the rollcage was the first thing i did it has a 10 point rollcage , the first time we tried we just cut off the roof of a rolling body and started jumping in the midle to see which areas needed more support

Well, since the roof is already missing...

...I'd say he's past commitment. It's marriage ROFL

Blk95gs said:
If I'm not mistaken, there's gonna be a lot of structural work needed to support the missing roof LOL.

Rollcage people, rollcage :D

Making a mini-Supra are ya?

AWD supra! i dont remember who did this but i know him as the pump gas king if that helps

werent the 2g's designed around the convertible?

meaning that all the structural rigidity my spyder has is the same as a hard top. so he just reduced his structural rigidity to that of a spyder. though i would consider adding some subframe connectors and some sort of cage just to stiffen it up for awd launches anyways.

looks like theres a bit of an identity crisis. supra tails and now targa top.......

Thomas91169 said:
werent the 2g's designed around the convertible?

meaning that all the structural rigidity my spyder has is the same as a hard top. so he just reduced his structural rigidity to that of a spyder. though i would consider adding some subframe connectors and some sort of cage just to stiffen it up for awd launches anyways.

looks like theres a bit of an identity crisis. supra tails and now targa top.......

Nope, the Spyder has a few noticeable beefened areas...otherwise it would weigh less than a regular gs-t.

I remember Dre talking about measuring the gap in the door jams to see much more the chassis was sagging after doing his targa top. So I was wondering how much welding the doors shut would help restore the rigidity of the car. Just an idea.. thoughts anybody?

Enigma04 said:
I remember Dre talking about measuring the gap in the door jams to see much more the chassis was sagging after doing his targa top. So I was wondering how much welding the doors shut would help restore the rigidity of the car. Just an idea.. thoughts anybody?

No shit? That's a ####in idea if I've ever heard one! C'mon now, who is going to weld their doors shut?

Enigma04 said:

Ever hit a car door with a sledgehammer?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back