The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Talon Tsi AWD problems..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny J

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2012
Laurel, Nebraska
Ok after buying my talon tsi for 500 bucks as a parts car i finally decided i wanted it to be my DD. So after completely reassembling the engine over the past week I finally got to the point where I thought I would try starting it today. So i go to turn it and all I hear is the engine trying to turn over, crankshafts and everything are moving but.. it wont turn over. So i assumed it was the battery, replaced it and still wont crank over. Checked fuel pump: good. Injectors : good. Spark plugs are good to. So i got fuel, spark, compression.. So im clueless to whats preventing it from turning over. I thought it could maybe be something with the security on the car. Or the fact that some of the wires under the dash are disconnected (from previous owner). Would appreciate some help on this. Thanks guys.

its probably not timed right. by the way, if you see any loose connectors, try finding where it connects, that might help :/

I'm pretty sure I timed it right. I timed it going off a maintenance boook that had diagrams and ect. The wires under the dash are just crazy.. It'll take some time before I can figure out where they go.

For $500 I'm guessing a 1g. Have you checked the ECU, CAS, and double check mechanical timing?

ECU is fine.
CAS is fine..

I'm going to recheck the timing tomorrow. Since everyone is doubting it LOL. It was my first time timing one of these cars

Timing is good..

Ahhh, The check engine light comes on when I try cranking it over? Then turns off when I turn the key back. When I try scanning it it ain't throwing a code.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't get a code after that. You can read it before you turn the key off but it is just a failure to start code.

Spark, fuel, compression, correct timing. Make sure that they are all right.

EverYthing is good. I think it might be my fuel pressure. I'm not for sure though

So you know for sure that it is firing on all 4 cylinders and that the 4 plug wires are in the right spot. You know that it is injecting fuel in all 4 cylinders and at the right time?

How did you verify that the compression was good, and what were your compression numbers?

Also check your fuel pressure at the rail, just be on the safe side..

What year is it i bet i know exactly whats wrong. Happend to me twice on 2 different cars the little cable on the starter is bad. What i did was did a push button ignition and it started every time no problem at all. Spent about 30mins and $15 on everything i needed for it. This is if it isnt turning over that is. But if its turning over but not starting could be alot of things.

Disregard the first part of this. I didnt see where it said crank and all were moving. Try your coils you may have firing order messed up.

What year is it i bet i know exactly whats wrong. Happend to me twice on 2 different cars the little cable on the starter is bad. What i did was did a push button ignition and it started every time no problem at all. Spent about 30mins and $15 on everything i needed for it.

He says that it has spark and that the crank is turning so i assume that it is actually turning over, just not starting. The was he said it is rather confusing though.

i actually had the same problem happen to me. (no start)

Well i don't know if you have tried this but as iugrad92turbo posted the link on how to diagnose a no start i followed all the steps a few months back but skipped the one on testing to see if the coils are bad because i was getting spark at the plugs.

I finally said eh F it why not, so i took the coils off and tested them to measure resistance (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33471&d=1088544507) and of course one was bad so i changed it out and just like that the car started up

hope this this helps :thumb:

I did the best I could guys. I had compression, spark, had the firing order right, fixed the wires under the dash. Then I had my friend pull start it, I would drop the clutch and it would die. It back fired though, quite a bit. I think it's time to give up on it. It has me and four other people stumped. I posted it on craigslist instead of scraping it because the shell is ungodly clean, and the interior is to. But I appreciate all your help guys

Ecu is goodish, i know its not the stock one. And yes all vaccum lines are good. Ive litterally been looking under the hood of this thing for the past 5 hours, and i dont quite understand why it wont start.

Okay, I've read this and basically you've said everythings good, but it won't start.

Please confirm that you've done & tested the following:

Compression test?
Spark plugs wires are conducting?
Spark plugs aren't fouled out?
The gasoline you're running hasn't expired?
You're getting fuel to the lines.
You've quadruple checked the timing? How are you checking the timing?

When you start can you hear it firing at all or is it literally just the starter turning the motor over without any kind of combustion?

Yeah all of them have compression.
spark plugs are conducting
I put new fuel in it
Fuel is going to the lines.
I timed it going off my repair manual. And I double checked on the internet
to make sure.
When you crank it it cranks slow, and you can kindof feel exhaust coming out.
I had my friend pull me and then I dropped the clutch, it would "run" and backfire. But as soon as I would put the clutch in it would die.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back