The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

t-25: is it an upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlacasse1

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2009
Scott AFB, Illinois
Does anyone know where i can find a thread on the t-25?

Basically i have the chance to get one cheap and wanted to know if it is better thatn the stock 1g turbo. i just want a faster spool time for now, and later when i work on the fuel system and get something to tune with i will up the boost.

And how do you identify them? serial numbers?

The T25 would be a downgrade to the 14b (your factory turbo, procided you have a M/T 1G). The T25 does spool a bit quicker, but not much. It isn't good for running much more than 15 psi, and it won't ever flow as much air as the 14b.

Most guys that have T25s, upgrade to the turbo that you currently have. I definitely wouldn't recommend that you swap to a T25.

It's a manual. But I think the first two posts pretty much said it all. I think I will still get it though because my brothers GSX needs a turbo.

Oh. And thanks for the fast replies guys.

Well yes, I just wanted to verify you had a 14b and not the 13g (sp?) Sorry I always forgot what the 1g Automatic turbo was, 13b or 13g.

If you were looking to upgrade about your next step up would be a 16g variant, let it be a small, big or evo 16g. Some people like the t28 but most say to keep your money and go with something else, but all are opinions.

Ok. I have a manual TSI. I'm no good with turbos. i'm good with a complete system and understanding how they work. but haven't read alot on the trims and flow and all that so i need help with that stuff.

OK. so i am getting the idea that the 14b is pretty much the best its gonna get without spending alot of money. correct

OK. so i am getting the idea that the 14b is pretty much the best its gonna get without spending alot of money. correct

Depends on what you consider a lot. The stock 14b turbo is great and deserves more credit for what it can do. It can do 12s.

Well, is your dsm manual or automatic?

Just a little tid bit of info for everyone here: All 90 and 91's that are turbo, are manual trans. They did not make the 90 or 91 turbo cars (FWD or AWD) with an auto trans in these two years. They only offered the Automatics on the Non Turbo Cars.

Depends on what you consider a lot. The stock 14b turbo is great and deserves more credit for what it can do. It can do 12s.

11's Actually

Just a little tid bit of info for everyone here: All 90 and 91's that are turbo, are manual trans. They did not make the 90 or 91 turbo cars (FWD or AWD) with an auto trans in these two years. They only offered the Automatics on the Non Turbo Cars.

Not quite, it's true that there were no turbo automatic cars in 1990 but that changed in 1991.

Yemps, no need for 99% of us to ever upgrade turbos since someone ran 10s with the 14b LOL

And, yep I have a 1991 auto dsm. Look it up in CAPS.

The 13g compressor actually flows 1-2 lb/min more air than the t25 :) . Now the 13g turbine wheel and turbine housing could be a downgrade to the t25 but I doubt. I've been able to hold mine at 15psi to redline. Not many with a t25 can say that. The 13g spools about the same. BUT my 13g experience comes from a 7.8:1CR motor with big 1g head/intake ports. And my t25 experience comes from the small port 2g design with higher stock 2g 8.5:1CR. So if you give the 13g better lowend VE and more compression that the 2g cars have, then theoratically the 13g spools faster than the t25. . . Based on my experience. And ofcourse the compressor maps tell that the 13g flows more :) . MHI turbos ar eknown to take a more severe beating as well. Garrett FTL on this one :notgood:

Gamble was referring to what most people seem to achieve when trying to go fast on the 14b.

If you want to get technical on what has been done with the 14b, then it's mid-10's.

Exactly there are a few people that have pulled 10s/11s etc. 12s is something that is realistic and something that most people can do with a 14b. Also he said he was looking for something not expensive so his best bet is to keep the stock turbo and go with another mod, something like an fp manifold would be nice ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back