The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Suspension Questions: Knuckle Kit, Upper Control Arm Mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinzon

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm getting ready to rebuild the front suspension in my '96 and i've run across a few complications.

First, after researching, it seems the best quality/price option is to buy knuckle kits from Mitsubishi (MR325009/MR325010). These kits include the lower lateral, lower compression, and the knuckle for roughly $130 a side from my local dealer. The problems is my car is a 2ga, and looking through ASA, it looks like all 2g suspension components, automatic or manual, have been superseded by later 2g 5speed part numbers.

So my question is, which wheel bearing do I use? Does anyone have experience with these kits can and do I use the normal DSM hub or do I need to purchase the late model hub assembly, 3880A044?

Second, while disassembling the suspension, I noticed that I have deformation to the tubes the upper control arm studs pass through:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As far as I can tell from diagrams, these tubes are welded into the structure of the car--not something that can be pressed out and replaced.

What can I do to repair these? I was thinking I could just put a washer on top of the tube to spread the load evenly, and I picked up some class 10.9 washers of an appropriate size, but I'm having second thoughts. These nuts appear to serrated on the bottom to bite into the tube and lock into place. I doubt the nuts will be able to bite in like they should into a class 10 washer. Should I use a class 8 washer instead? Can anyone think of a better solution?

Last edited:
The kit is for 95-99 DSMs. Ive bought the kit a few times.

Either hub assembly will work, I believe its just a difference in the knurl end of the wheel stud as theres 2 different sizes of knurl. It won't matter unless you're installing ARP studs or replacement studs down the road.

As for the tubes, it appears you have the wrong nut or the nut wasn't tightened fully on the tube. That should self center the control arm mount in the tube when tightened down properly, not allowing it to mushroom like that. Take a flapper disc to the tops and level them out, make sure you have the correct OE nuts, and go about your day. They'll be fine once leveled back flat.

For the tunes it is an issue because it used a flanged nut and the upper part of the shaft that passes througb has zero upper support, i made some arms and when doing so i added an upper tophat washer/insert that spread the load up top, and it also keeps the shaft straight and not twisting or moving which is never good for strength or deflection the movement of the suspension.

For the hubs they are all the same till 99! They changed the neck on the bore, it should not be an issue really, if you use evo rotors then the later bewrings fill the rotor bore better then the older units, either way the studs will keep them quite central anyway.

The knuckle kit fits all and you will just pick your hub you wish to install, i actually run an evo V hub for my evo brembos and it works fine

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back