The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

SPC Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teklein

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2004
Simpsonville, South_Carolina
Hey,

So I came home to a box on my front porch. And inside was...

THESE!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I am pretty sure they may be one of the last new sets for sale (well, was).

Anyways, the boots on the ball joints are cockeyed where the spring clip holds it to the main body. It wont stay up, and I definitely do not want dirt getting into these. Have any of you guys had these issues and what did you do to fix it?

Also, if anyone has ball joints laying around and you sold/wrecked/donated/whatever your car - PM me.

Thanks!

Tim Klein

Last edited:
I don't have a specific answer to your question but I do know the boots that come with those SPC arms are junk, the joints fail all the time because their boots fail. I would replace the boots before you install them, believe the OEM Mitsu boots will fit IIRC.

Also, note these arm's do reduce suspension travel even further then normal. If the cars low, don't be alarmed if the arms end up smacking your strut towers.

Awesome - I will try to confirm that Mitsu boots fit and get them on before they go on the car.

Car is not slammed - sitting on Tein Flex's though. If they hit I will raise it up some :)

Thanks!

I think most people using the arms are still using the boots that came with them. Just make sure to pack the ball joint with more grease and find a better way to secure the boot on. My brother and I are using zip ties that we found to fit perfectly in the groove. You could also consider safety wire.

I think most people using the arms are still using the boots that came with them. Just make sure to pack the ball joint with more grease and find a better way to secure the boot on. My brother and I are using zip ties that we found to fit perfectly in the groove. You could also consider safety wire.

My thoughts exactly. When I saw the original post I wanted to warn you to protect those ball joints. I use safety wire. Small zip ties seem to be of poor quality around my area.

I've also taken it a step further, after I packed my most recent set of balljoints I used plasti dip to attempt to try and seal the boot to the joint and prevent moisture from being sucked into the boot when the suspension unloads in wet weather. It looks clean and so far it's holding up and hasn't burst or broken but I'm sure I"ll have to reapply it periodically. I'll do anything to extend the life of these joints.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back