The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Stutter and then Boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red00ta

Probationary Member
Aug 23, 2009
Broomfield, Colorado
Ok guys, so I am new to this website. I bought a 92 TSI Talon and it has been giving me some problems. I think it is a boost leak from everyone elses posts. But I need to make sure.
So what I have is a EVO 3 16g and running 650 injectors. In first gear when I hammer on it, it boost up to 15 PSI then the car starts to stutter then after about a sec or 2 it takes off. But if I'm driving in 2nd gear it wont hessitate. I think it is a leak but why is it only doing it in 1st?
Also I am trying to hook up my boost controller but I cant find a nipple on the turbo it self. It is the EVO 3. Do I need to put a nipple on the J pipe? Sorry if this is something that everyone has asked but I cant find anyone with the same issue.

i had the same issue turned out to be the spark plugs.. i just regaped them
make sure everything has been replaced plugs , wires , filter, old belts and hoses... etc
or maybe your tranny is giving out since you say its only on 1st .. clutch may be slipping

Well it has a brand new clutch in it. But it will do the samething if I let the turbo build up boost in first then shift into second. But if I dont boost up in first and just go from second then it wont. Its really weird. It almost sounds like fuel cut off but my gauge says that I'm running rich and a puff of black smoke comes out.

Are you kidding me? Unless your profile is not up to date, you have nothing to tune those injectors with. Part of your studdering problem could be due to a boost leak, but your fuel trims are going to be way off, causing you problems as well.

Do your car a favor and put the stockers back in and keep the boost around factory setting until you get at least an safc.

I believe i have the same problem.... im gaped at .028 or w.e it is and same thing, but now im pushing 18psi on a ported s16g and i have no boost leaks and i just put in a new evo8 pump...so i dont think im lacking fuel or air. My buddy told me to re gap them so im am going to get new bpr7es's and gap them to like .025/.026.

Well I just picked up the car 2 days ago and the guy i got it from put in the 650 injectors. I thought about going back to 550's just so I dont run lean. I will be doing the plugs today. Also does the EVO 3 16g have a nipple on it for the MBC? Or do I need to put a tap into the J pipe?

Well I just picked up the car 2 days ago and the guy i got it from put in the 650 injectors. I thought about going back to 550's just so I dont run lean. I will be doing the plugs today. Also does the EVO 3 16g have a nipple on it for the MBC? Or do I need to put a tap into the J pipe?

Stock injectors are 450's, you're not running lean you're running very rich, hence the black smoke. Make sure you're not running platinum plugs either.

So then should I put stocks back in or should I go to the 550's? And I'll check the plugs too. I had a felling it was running rich. I have an air fuel meter in it too and when I hammer down it peggs in rich. So I'm just worried about going back to stock might be not enough fuel.

Well...if he has 650s in it ### was he using to tune? What sort of fuel management control do you have and what about fuel pump? My guess is the sparks though, because your car just spudders when you go WOT, like mine and i figure mine is just a little break up. Im guessing your car bucks/spudders like 3 or 4 times then its ok right?

Ok. So i just hooked up a SAFC to my car and now it wont idle and a check engine light is on. Now it does great after 3000 but it stumbles all the way up to it. I have EVO 3 16g with 650 injectors. I was hoping that I could atleast get the car to run a little better but I made it worse. What is a good setting for it with my set up?

Is there anyone in Colorado that is willing to help me tune this damn car? Please anyone

Still having the problem? I just changed my oil, plugs and filter. And am almost out of gas, so once i need to fill up im putting a bottle of injector cleaner in and going to do some WOT pulls again. ( Trying to save gas till fridays paycheck hahahaha) Anyways it already feels way better, my old ones were gapped at .032! Idk how that happened!!!

Yeah the plugs that were in the car were all gapped different. So I put in new ones and gapped them myself. The idled better but it still cut out. So then I put the S-AFC in it and it just made it worse. So I think I am going to put stock injectors in it for now. I just need to find someone that is selling the stock ones. So if anyone knows of someone selling some please let me know.

Wow! Thank you so much 1fst2g. I have been trying to find that and I had no luck. So I just pulled out that out of date Apexi for now. I bought some stock injectors and as soon as I pulled out the AFC the car ran great!!! It actually idles and it doesnt spudder anymore. I met a guy that is actually very knowledgeable with dsm's. He is the only front facing turbo eclipse in Colorado. He gave me a lot of good advice. So now I am selling the injectors that were in there and the Apexi and some other parts to get the DSM Link. No more messing around. Thank you all for your help though. I really needed it. Thanks again. And anyone in Colorado area the guy I am talking about does a lot of work on dsm's and he tunes them. And he has awesome prices. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back