The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Stumbling (jerking) at low throttle...random misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93TSI_DSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2008
Holland, Ohio
Ok ill start by saying my car is a 93 Eagle Talon Tsi yes it is a DSM and yes random misfiring is a common problem. Well to get things started my car has a random misfire you can hear it when it idles. I have changed the spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, and have checked the gapping they are roughly at .029-.031 i normally drive to Owens everyday back and forth and dont have a problem but recently i have had the car stumble or start jerking at like <10% throttle its a PITA to drive when it does this i can either get the problem to go away by letting off the throttle and trying to give it gas again sometimes this works but not alot or i can just floor it until it stops misfiring and turns back into a DSM and not a lawnmower. Can anyone help me fix this please its my DD and its getting to be annoying. Thank you guys. Also I have had the ignition coil taken out and checked at autozone which got the "ok..its good" so idk if that could be it or something else i have 550cc injectors that i thought might change it if it was a fuel delivery problem no CEL has ever came on and the bulb works fine it clearly comes on when you turn the key over to start it. OBD1 POS DSM....sigh

Did a boost leak test today set it to 20psi and blew the tester apart LOL so after tightening the tester back up redid the test and found a small hissing coming from the top intercooler piping the intercooler had JB weld on it to cover up some 1mm holes. After cleaning the intercooler and patching up the small holes im going to put it back on do another boost leak test and post back to see if the problkem got worst/went away/ or cleared up a bit

Finished it ll up problem is still there it did however not stumble as bad or as long and i have a hallman es MBC and there is a pin size hole in the side where the hose goes to the wastegate but it is on the fitting looked at a friends he has the exact same thing no other leaks where found and i did manage to fit my head back inbetween the intake manifold and the firewall dont ask how but i did (towards the driver side) no hissing or air was felt coming from it. I am thinking about taking it to a shop here in the next week if i cant figure it out. I have tested the TPS but the readings were anything to pinppoint a problem it may be faulty but the misfiring is still happening. It misfires randomly at idle and is less noticable while driving. it doesnt really sound like a misfire but its consistant like one ill try and post a video soon. thabnks for the input guys.

you might have a weak coil pack causing that misfire are the wires and plugs new? and stuttering when driving is usually caused by pre turbo boost leaks but if you have a weak coil that could be an issue! ask a friend if u can use his packs if known good to test

I might just replace the coil pack to see if that changes anything ive took it out and took it to autozone where it was checked for its resistance it checked out good and yes the plugs and wires are new with less then 2000miles on them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back