The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

stuck piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
My piston is stuck or jammed. Changing my rod bearings and piston rings. I put the ring compressor on my num 3 piston and started to put it in the cylinder. Got it to the head and got stuck. It look like its jammed and i cannot get that bad boy out. Any help would be great.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow mourning because its dark out here. to give you a visualization though, about 3/4 of a inch of the piston is sticking out from the head. I cannot get it out, i Even tried to put 3 3/8 extensions together and set the end on a jack to push the piston out but all it did was lift the motor.

Sir, looks like you have a problem there LOL

but really tho, try to force it out from the way you put it in there

Dont want to damage the cylinder walls.

sounds like you may have tapped an oversized piston into a stock bore measure the piston to make sure its the correct size

Sounds like an oil control ring came out of the groove to me , based on the fact he is reringing and bearing it.

If he put pistons in different from the order they came out in the walls may have been worn unevenly, causing one to get stuck. Also with 3/4 of an inch sticking out it could be jammed on the oil control ring.

Yeah anything is possible. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on keeping them in order. But regardless of wear in theory it wouldnt matter if they were swapped around. Sure they wear but they all start out the same size and when things wear they get smaller. I would be concerned if you had 1 oversized piston.

sounds like you may have tapped an oversized piston into a stock bore measure the piston to make sure its the correct size

Not At all..Every piston went back into its original cylinder. The bottom oil ring cam out and jammed the piston. I eventually got it out with no damage. It did scratch the cylinder wall just a tad bit not too deep thank GOD...But yes everything is assembled and the head is ready to be put back on..Thanks guys

Man I called that LOL, I witnessed my buddy do the same thing a few years back. Im glad it worked out for you good to hear mark this as resolved

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back