The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Stripped Bolt on Crossmember

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayB12

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2009
Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
Okay, I Started to notice some noise coming from my engine bay area which quickly accelerated into loud banging. When letting out the clutch or hitting the gas hard the car would just bang really loud. So I crawled under my car and saw that orange rusty dust around the rear bolt for my cross member. I figured it had rattled loose so i tried to tighten it and it just spins around and doesn't get any tighter.. The banging must have stripped it out. How is the best way to fix this, and prevent it from happening again? Do i need to drill it out and tap it for a larger bolt or is there another way to fix this?

I would drill out and re tap to next bolt size. As long as there is enough meat to do so. Now if you drill clearnace and use a nut on the back side that would work also and have a benefit of cutting apart easy if ever froze up. Helicoils are good too but more cost unless you already have the tap and coils.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back