The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

step by step instructions for tranny rebuild needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmarines

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2008
houston, Texas
I'm looking for a step by step instructions to rebuild my 2g turbo tranny. I am contiplating on doing it myself or sending it off to be done. Anyone have this on cd or something... thanks guys.

I know that this is more than you asked for, but here you go!

W4A33 Automatic transmission service manual https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...FhZjQtM2IxZTExZThiNDky&hl=en&authkey=COm6r-IN

F4A33 and W4A33 Automatic Transmission service manual https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...EyNzMtN2U1MDcxNTllMjBm&hl=en&authkey=COzGo9kP

F5M51 Transmission Service Manual
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...hkNjQtODFiZDMwOGZiMTI2&hl=en&authkey=CMHWqMUM

F5M42 Transmission Service Manual
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...hlYzktYjk1ZWVkMDY3OTU5&hl=en&authkey=CLnThPcE

1991-1996 5-Speed Transmission Service Manual
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...k3YTAtMWIwZTJlNzYyNDg0&hl=en&authkey=COjGqJAG

Thanks guys, I'm about to change out out my end clutches this coming weekend and from what I've read it doesnt sound to difficult. Ive read the end clutches do not like power over 350whp which Ive already surpassed. If the end clutches replacment does not solve my slippage problem from 2nd - 3rd shifts I will probably look at a complete rebuild. I bought this shell with a rebuilt tranny that was done about 10 months ago (thats the main reason I bought it). But now I'm slipping. I just figaured why not at least try and do it myself, the worst that can happen is I screw it up and have to send it off ....the best... it works and I save a little cash and learn in the process. Ive already installed a shift kit about 6 months ago which works great. Getting a shft box with some sort of paddles will be my next upgrade as I already have installed a bigger auto tranny cooler which Ive recolated to the pass side fender well (where the old smic was )

THANKS!!!! this is exactly what I'm looking for. My 1st, 3rd and od went out today so looks like I will be doing a complete rebuild.

Once you start getting it apart you'll see that they aren't really that complicated inside as long as you're just doing clutches and seals. The only word of warning I think I can give you is when you take it apart make sure that when you replace the center support that you line up the o-rings with the inlets or else you wont have reverse when you put it back together.

Once you start getting it apart you'll see that they aren't really that complicated inside as long as you're just doing clutches and seals. The only word of warning I think I can give you is when you take it apart make sure that when you replace the center support that you line up the o-rings with the inlets or else you wont have reverse when you put it back together.

thanks ill keep that in mind. I've been reading a lot on this and do i really need the specialty tools to do this? also i know i will be replacing the end clutches and rear clutches but do i replace the front ones also. if i remember correctly there is 3 sets of clutches in these correct?

went ahead and ordereda new rebuild kit from ipt. should be arriving friday. hopefully i won't screw it up ..LOL i also ordered there trans book just to have another reference.

I'm looking for a step by step instructions to rebuild my 2g turbo tranny. I am contiplating on doing it myself or sending it off to be done. Anyone have this on cd or something... thanks guys.

Invest in a factory service manual..It has what the PDFs have and alot more..The section on automatics in my 94 talon manual is 3/8s of an inch thick..They are cheap too...
1996 EAGLE Talon Mitsubishi Eclipse Service Shop Manual: eBay Motors (item 390227820653 end time Sep-18-10 08:19:40 PDT)

Well I decided instead of rebuilding the trans myself I went ahead and took it to a local shop. Maybe I just felt intimidated but damn does it look crazy confusing! I dropped off the tranny on saterday, but he couldnt start the rebuild untill this morning. I went ahead and had him install new selenoids just to be safe. He informed me that 2nd gear was toast and the huge band was trash. The only issues he had was on one section of clutches, in the trans it only had 4 but the kit had 5 clutches. He said when they installed it, it was alittle loose so he added a thicker plate or something like that. Not to sure but I'm trying to remember. He wants me to get my converter rebuilt but why...it has been rebuilt suposely about a year ago. I want to flush it but I really dont know the process. Anyway, the trans will be ready for pickup tomorrow afternoon. pretty good turn around..2 days...

A 5-disk front clutch pack increases torque handling capacity. He should have installed them all.

Considering it is still with him then it shouldn't take him long to put it right. If he has already re-installed the pump then it is a half hour job, if he hasn't then it is likely to take less than 5 minutes.

A 5-disk front clutch pack increases torque handling capacity. He should have installed them all.

Considering it is still with him then it shouldn't take him long to put it right. If he has already re-installed the pump then it is a half hour job, if he hasn't then it is likely to take less than 5 minutes.

Hopefully he installed them all and instead of taking up clearance with a selective snap ring, he used one thicker factory steel, which is absolutely fine to do.

-John
Import Performance Transmissions
Facebook- IPT Performance Transmissions

He installed all 5 of them. That was the first thing I asked. He just said there was little to much wiggle than he would like to be so he added a thicker plate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back