The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Starter won't turn...sometimes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyquik22023

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2008
Akron, Ohio
I am having this problem sometimes when I go to start my car the starter just clicks and doesnt turn. If I keep turning the key a few times it will just click each time I turn the key then it will start. I have an autometer volt gauge and it is at 12.2-12.7 while I am trying to start it. It does this at random times. Sometimes I can go for a week with the car starting fine. Starter is new, battery is brand new, alternator tested good by autozone. I've replaced almost all wires. Power wire from starter to battery, starter ground wire, battery ground wire, starter signal wire. My battery is in the trunk and I have it grounded to the chassis in the trunk. The only wire I didn't replace is the power wire from the battery to the fuse box and the 2 power wires from the alternator to the fuse box. Also probably has to do with the same problem but when I first start the car my volt gauge will be at 14-14.5 and will stay there for a minute but will slowly drop as I am driving. The volts stay around 12.2-12.5 normally while I am driving with both fans on. Any ideas let me know thanks.

Sounds like a poor grounding issue. Sometimes making a good connection and sometimes not, which would make just enough amperage to click on the solenoid(the clicking noise, the solenoid only takes a few amps to engage) but not enough to energize the starter motor(which can take alot). Either run a ground cable straight from the battery to negative on the starter(grounding to engine block) or find a better ground on the frame and mabey sand the contact surface where the ground wire from the battery bolts to the frame, can apply an electric grease if worried about corrosion, but since its in the trunk i doubt youd ever see any corrosion. Also make sure you have a good ground from frame to engine block.
If thats not it, then its possible the brushes might be sticky in the starter motor, if its a rebuilt one its possible, if thats the case they might just 'breakin' after a while. If not then probably have to replace starter.

Remove the battery and then, one at a time, remove the wire to the starter and ensure all connections are clean and then when you reinstall, make sure it's nice and tight.

After that, clean your battery connections and then reattach.

If still problematic, troubleshoot the starter relay.

And lastly, clean all the grounds around the car and see if that helps.

Sounds like a poor grounding issue. Sometimes making a good connection and sometimes not, which would make just enough amperage to click on the solenoid(the clicking noise, the solenoid only takes a few amps to engage) but not enough to energize the starter motor(which can take alot). Either run a ground cable straight from the battery to negative on the starter(grounding to engine block) or find a better ground on the frame and mabey sand the contact surface where the ground wire from the battery bolts to the frame, can apply an electric grease if worried about corrosion, but since its in the trunk i doubt youd ever see any corrosion. Also make sure you have a good ground from frame to engine block.
If thats not it, then its possible the brushes might be sticky in the starter motor, if its a rebuilt one its possible, if thats the case they might just 'breakin' after a while. If not then probably have to replace starter.

Agreed! Had similar issue 3 weeks ago, got new starter from AutoZone. Was about to take my starter out, noticed bad ground connection. End up returning new starter, sense my was just fine...

I agree it sounds like a grounding issue. I have the one wire going from the intake manifold to the chassis, and the ground from the starter to the chassis. Other than that I have just the ground from the battery grounded in the trunk to a chassis bolt. I know some people who move the battery to the trunk run a ground to the chassis in the trunk and run another ground to the starter ground in the engine bay. Is this really necessary?

Check you ground connection.
You are having to connect through the body instead of almost directly like before.
Sand the end of the Ground wire and the area where it is supposed to connected.
Then make sure the bolt is very clean and not rusty.
Reconnect it all and it should help at least a little.
(Also check your terminal for optimal connection).

Just in case anyone was wondering my issue was resolved. I found out that one of the wires of my ignition switch somehow got sliced open and was loose. Fixed the wire and now my car starts up everytime.... well at least so far haha. Battery is also holding a steady charge between 13.6-14.2 while driving with fans full on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back