The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Spyder GST 16g installed now problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badboyr6

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2008
Miami, Florida
hey guys. I installed my 16g (used) and ebay fmic and I started her this morning. The car sounded normal but then I drove her around the block and she started to smoke a bit( white smoke) and then I decided to open her up just a little bit but the car wasnt even pulling how the t25 was, then I heard a pop out the exhaust and the car began sputtering and turning off. I pulled over and I had a lot of white smoke comming from the turbo exhaust housing. When I turned it on again to drive it home, i couldn't go over 3 thousand rpm because the car felt like it was about to stall. Also i had a weird sound coming from the engine like a blown gasket or something. Please help

Solution
well I just ran home for my lunch break. And it was an intercooler pipe. I reconnected it and I strted the car. At idle I have no smoke. But when I rev the motor I get white very little blue cloud of smoke comming out the back. Also I'm getting smoke where the turbo connects to its other side. What do u guys think?
No I didnt gsx. I didnt think to check it. But that will be the first think I check tonight. How long will it take to burn the film of oil off? With a ic pipe popped off does it make a deep waa waaaa noise?

could be a cracked ignition coil causing you to misfire. I had the same symptoms on my NA talon and i found out the ignition coil was cracked so i had to get a new one.

Before I start ripping things off I'll have to double check all the things u guys listed. Why do u guys suppose Im not building a lot of boost?

Cause if you have no ic pipe on its not making it to the intake manifold. Or your turbo is locked up. best options i would say.

its either leaking out an intercooler pipe or the head gasket

If he had a head gasket issue he would be building no compression at all. car shouldn't even start not alone make it to 3k rpms.

Last edited by a moderator:
my head gasket blew in 3 spots. on spot was half way around cylinder #3 and it still ran. it ran like shit but reguardless. my car would boost but it wouldnt boost past 12 lbs. so yes it could be his head gasket.

If he had a head gasket issue he would be building no compression at all. car shouldn't even start not alone make it to 3k rpms.

Please stop with the misinformation. I have done headgaskets on many different cars. I don't remember a single car not being able to run. A bad headgasket won't cause compression loss every time. When it does it is normally only in one cylinder. You don't think a car can run off three cylinders? All of this is as experiance as a mechanic.

thank you man. to help prove a point here, ill post a pic if needed. my head gasket blew in between all 4 cylinders so it was like a shared compression and it still ran.

well I just ran home for my lunch break. And it was an intercooler pipe. I reconnected it and I strted the car. At idle I have no smoke. But when I rev the motor I get white very little blue cloud of smoke comming out the back. Also I'm getting smoke where the turbo connects to its other side. What do u guys think?

Solution
I'll give it a couple days. I'll still do the compression test and see if I have water in my cylinders. Would anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't pull as hard as the t25? Actually it feels like it wasnt pulling at all.

ok, i am surprised no one said anything about this yet. You said you just installed the turbo and when it got warm it started smoking. When i installed my turbo, it smoked as well because a light film of oil had gotten in different areas that got hot and slowly burnt off. It will stop after all the film is burn off. As for you hearing a pop and then you could not rev over 3k RPM.....sounds to me like you may have popped off an IC pipe in your new installation. I would check these first before taking anything apart.

I am surprised too. This is what I thought after reading the opening post.

I'll give it a couple days. I'll still do the compression test and see if I have water in my cylinders. Would anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't pull as hard as the t25? Actually it feels like it wasnt pulling at all.

What are you using for boost control and what boost level do you have it set at?

Do a boost leak test. If you don't have a tester consult the tech section and make one. It will be one of the best investments to keep your car running strong.

If your turbo seems slow to spool then consider a pre-turbo exhaust leak.

I made a boost leak tester. I'll have to check it when i get a chance. What's a pre turbo leak?

An exhaust leak before the turbo. It can be between the head/manifold or manifold/turbo. Did you use new gaskets in these spots? Did you use the oem cone washers on the turbo bolts (2 washers per bolt)? It's also a good idea to retorque the turbo bolts after a couple of heat cycles.

I dont think I used cone washers. Does anyone hvenpics of these bolts ? I checked the manifold and I had to tigheten one of the bolts.

Why do most people assume headgasket? OP is having problems after a turbo and FMIC install. He was driving around the block, not boosting 25+ psi on a t-25 all day on a fel-pro Headgasket. ALWAYS ALWAYS start with the smallest simplest thing and work your way up.

Well I did install a felpro multi layered metal hg but I had the t25 in it and it ran fine boosting 14psi. No smoke nothing whatsoever except some vacuum leaks. But when I put my foot down on the gas with this 16g nothing seemed to happen. I was getting no more than 6psi but it was just sooooo slow. I thought it was supposed to put me back in my seat or something

Why do most people assume headgasket? OP is having problems after a turbo and FMIC install. He was driving around the block, not boosting 25+ psi on a t-25 all day on a fel-pro Headgasket. ALWAYS ALWAYS start with the smallest simplest thing and work your way up.

Why do people always come into threads and have something useless to say?:toobad: The pop was the only thing that didn't fit the description of a head gasket being bad from what I have seen, I haven't seen everything though. Head gaskets are simple to check 99% of the time, it doesn't require pulling the head off. And, I would assume that a blown off intercooler pipe would be obvious for anybody if they looked under the hood.

actually the pipe that blew apart was the one that goes in back of the bumper and into the engine compartment. So even if I looked under the hood, which i did, u couldn't see it without taking the bumper off. How do you recommend checking for my hg?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back