The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Spun rod bearing? need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saturdee

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Duncannon, Pennsylvania
Well today I let my friend drive my car to work, and on my way he wanted to top it out. I wasn't for it, I was going to tell him to let off at like 110. Well anyways, he started speeding up and I started to notice it was kind of hesitating, and it wouldn't go past like 105, so he let off and then the engine just shut off. We drifted on to an exit and I tried starting it up and it did, but the idle was very very rough and I could hear a knock, so I revved it up a little and the knock got faster so I assumed it was a spun rod. I drove it easy about a half mile to my friends house and on the way the car would like shake up to about 2 thousand rpms, would this be because one of the cylinders isn't firing? I just bought this car like 4 months ago, and when I did I knew absolutely nothing about engines, so I honestly don't really know, but I just want to know what I'm dealing with and what I might need to replace because this weekend me and my friend (he knows a bit more) are going to fix it. Right now we are assuming its a rod bearing, which would be great because that's not too expensive and i was told it's fairly easy to do. Any opinions would be great, thank you.

Well today I let my friend drive my car to work, and on my way he wanted to top it out. I wasn't for it, I was going to tell him to let off at like 110. Well anyways, he started speeding up and I started to notice it was kind of hesitating, and it wouldn't go past like 105, so he let off and then the engine just shut off. We drifted on to an exit and I tried starting it up and it did, but the idle was very very rough and I could hear a knock, so I revved it up a little and the knock got faster so I assumed it was a spun rod. I drove it easy about a half mile to my friends house and on the way the car would like shake up to about 2 thousand rpms, would this be because one of the cylinders isn't firing? I just bought this car like 4 months ago, and when I did I knew absolutely nothing about engines, so I honestly don't really know, but I just want to know what I'm dealing with and what I might need to replace because this weekend me and my friend (he knows a bit more) are going to fix it. Right now we are assuming its a rod bearing, which would be great because that's not too expensive and i was told it's fairly easy to do. Any opinions would be great, thank you.

Could also be main bearings. You need to pull the pan and check. Oh and your dead wrong thinking a rod bearing isnt expensive. Once it knocks its 99% chance its done damage to the crank. If you slap new bearings in, which is easy, its just gonna knock 500 miles later. Sorry man...a rebuild is most likely in your future. Maybe if you shut down immediatly upon hearing the knock youd have a shot, buuuut you drove it. So the damage is done.

Could be a mix of things. BS belt could of snaped and caused timing to jump a tooth(hence the shaking). Just a spun bearing shouldnt make you car run that bad(at least not in my experience). Check IC pipes, do a compression test, do a boost leak test. Check you timing and BS belt

Could be a mix of things. BS belt could of snaped and caused timing to jump a tooth(hence the shaking). Just a spun bearing shouldnt make you car run that bad(at least not in my experience). Check IC pipes, do a compression test, do a boost leak test. Check you timing and BS belt

It most certainly will make your car run that bad.

My car would barely turn on when i spun a rod bearing. And it would shake really bad.

Another thing, after I revved it a little bit it made a high pitched whine noise, I'm competely lost as to why it would do that. Here's a video of it YouTube - weird noise

So what you guys are getting at is that I'm going to need to get a new crankshaft? Sorry for being stupid, like I said i'm new and I've never done or even seen a rebuild before...

So what you guys are getting at is that I'm going to need to get a new crankshaft? Sorry for being stupid, like I said i'm new and I've never done or even seen a rebuild before...

At the very least i would replace the crank and all the bearings. And gaskets.

What you need to do is listen to the members on here. Don't start it. Drop the oil pan down and look for metal in the oil. Then keep digging. Check the clearances on your rods (at the very least wiggle them with your hands), drop the main down. You'll find it if you spend just an hour under your car. You know you have an issue. You have an idea what it might be. Investigate...

the whistle sounds like what I have and its from my BOV. Thats a pretty faint knock. Heres one of my rod knocks I had

Do you think what I have is a spun rod bearing? A kid I work with said it could possibly be a bent valve but we didn't do anything that would stress it or anything to damage it.

And why would my bov be making that sound?

What you need to do is listen to the members on here. Don't start it. Drop the oil pan down and look for metal in the oil. Then keep digging. Check the clearances on your rods (at the very least wiggle them with your hands), drop the main down. You'll find it if you spend just an hour under your car. You know you have an issue. You have an idea what it might be. Investigate...

I'm doing that this weekend, the car is at my friends house right now. I'm going to buy a new crank with my next paycheck or two, any suggestions where to buy?

And I'm still confused with that screech noise...

the whistle sounds like what I have and its from my BOV. Thats a pretty faint knock. Heres one of my rod knocks I had

Do you think what I have is a spun rod bearing? A kid I work with said it could possibly be a bent valve but we didn't do anything that would stress it or anything to damage it.

And why would my bov be making that sound?

I'm doing that this weekend, the car is at my friends house right now. I'm going to buy a new crank with my next paycheck or two, any suggestions where to buy?

And I'm still confused with that screech noise...

Really?? You've never heard you bov before?
And i dont see how a valve could be bent unless your tbelt jumped a couple teeth.

I have no clue why the BOV makes that sound. Yes bent valves could be the issue if timing jumped. But drop oil pan first and see what you find. If no metal in pan check timing.

Really?? You've never heard you bov before?
And i dont see how a valve could be bent unless your tbelt jumped a couple teeth.

Yes, I've heard my bov before... But I never heard it make that sound after giving it just a little throttle in neutral.

I'll check my timing this weekend as well. If it happens to not be lined up, how would I fix that?

Bro don't just go buy a crank. If it spun a main...it could have damaged the block. If it spun a rod you need to either replace the rod or at least have it inspected. If you drove it...you could have done much worse. The metel shavings from the bearings have now traveled thru your entire engine. if it was bad enough your cylinders will need to be bored and pistons replaced. In some cases damage to the turbo can happen from metal shavings being in the oil as well. You won't know anything until you drop the pan and look. So start there. Do NOT JUST BUY A CRANK. You have no idea the extent of the damage. Judging from your posts, you should probably have some one more knowledgeable help you.
By the way that video isnt working for me.

Bro don't just go buy a crank. If it spun a main...it could have damaged the block. If it spun a rod you need to either replace the rod or at least have it inspected. If you drove it...you could have done much worse. The metel shavings from the bearings have now traveled thru your entire engine. if it was bad enough your cylinders will need to be bored and pistons replaced. In some cases damage to the turbo can happen from metal shavings being in the oil as well. You won't know anything until you drop the pan and look. So start there. Don NOT JUST BUY A CRANK. You have no idea the extent of the damage. Judging from your posts, you should probably have some one more knowledgeable help you.

Wow... Guess I didn't. Shows how much I know. I'm just going to shut up for now, and when I drop the pan I'll update you all on what I saw.

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

Assuming that you didnt bend any valves you could just retime it. But if it jumped a couple teeth you can bet on bent valves. Then you would have to pull the head and replace the valves at least.
Get a haynes repair manual from your local auto parts store. Its has a lot of useful information. It will tell you everything you need about timing your engine and rebuilding it if you have to. And all the torque specs.

Assuming that you didnt bend any valves you could just retime it. But if it jumped a couple teeth you can bet on bent valves. Then you would have to pull the head and replace the valves at least.
Get a haynes repair manual from your local auto parts store. Its has a lot of useful information. It will tell you everything you need about timing your engine and rebuilding it if you have to. And all the torque specs.

Yeah I have one, it'll be put to use.

Also, depending on how much damage was done it might just be possible to get the crank turned and run oversized bearings. That might be more cost effiective. But once again you need to see how much damage was done.

Hold off on buying anything until you get it torn down.

Alright, so today I drained the oil and I took a look at it and I didn't really notice any metal shavings, however when I dropped the oil pan and looked around in there where there was some oil still left over I could see a little bit of gold/copper colored flakes, there wasn't much but just a little, but I didn't see any big metal shavings. I also checked my timing and it is lined up so that's good.

I looked at my connecting rods and crankshaft and I couldn't see any noticeable damage, but I didn't take any of the connecting rod caps off because I called it a day.

So would I be able to tell if I did spin a rod bearing without taking the caps off or would I need to take them off to see?

And one more thing I forgot to mention, whenever we were pulling off I noticed the car's engine temp was a little above normal, so I don't know if that could help with what it could be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back